-Salt Lake City-

•·················•·················•

Six Weeks Since Colorado

It was warm. There was a cool breeze that brushed against my skin. Trees started to look a bit fuller, greener. Flowers started to bloom. Spring rolled in faster than any of us could have anticipated. Not that I was complaining. If I had to keep walking through the cold, I was going to lose my mind, but what was supposed to be a two-week trip to Salt Lake City turned into almost two months. The highway we tried using was blocked up for miles, which wasn't ideal. Neither of us necessarily wanted another long trek. We just wanted it to be over.  

At the end of the day, the scenic route might have been our best option. Less infected, less people. Besides a few, unwanted encounters, it was just the three of us and I wouldn't want it any other way.  

The day started perfectly. It was a straight shot on the highway to our exit for Saint Mary's. No roadblocks, no infected, no hunters. Ellie talked, like every day. Joel and I did our best to keep up with her. Sometimes, all it takes is something small to pull you from it. It would be meaningless to outside eyes. Nothing but a stupid design on a cement wall.  

"Hello...we just wanna talk." 

I still get the dreams every so often. I've learned not to react to them anymore. I was far past fearing them. No – I was frustrated because I couldn't seem to let it go. I tell myself I'm safe, Ellie is safe, Joel is safe. David is dead. No one is coming to exact revenge on me and even if they were, I don't think they'd be the ones to walk away from the fight.  

"Ruth!" I whip around with a bewildered expression meeting Joel's concerned gaze. "Did you hear me calling you?" 

"Uh, no. What's up?"  

"Look." He points up, and I follow it up to the blue sign on the post. "Hospital. This is where we get off." 

I nodded, taking one last look at the deer carved into the wall then took off in a jog toward the smuggler. Ellie was walking a bit ahead and I tried matching her pace, but Joel's hand wraps around my wrist. I swivel around with a gentle sigh. 

"Are you okay?" He asks, worriedly. 

"Yeah, I'm fine." His brow arches, silently questioning me. "Joel, I'm alright. I promise." 

"Hey, lovebirds!" Ellie shouts behind us. "Let's pick up the pace. Hospital, remember?" 

I playfully roll my eyes. "Okay, miss bossy, we're coming." Joel intertwines his fingers with mine, giving them a reassuring squeeze as we catch up with the teen.