-The City-

•·················•·················•

Boston, 2033

Ellie and I followed the pair of smugglers through the trenches closely and diligently. Mimicking their every step, listening to their every order. It seemed like in a matter of minutes the military had covered every inch of the border, leaving no space unattended. Just when we thought we were safe, there was another group of them right around a corner.

We were moving through trenches, crumbling buildings, the sewer. It had been twenty, maybe thirty minutes when the soldiers finally got called off and we escaped through the sewers. 

"They're gone," Joel heaved, doing a final look around the outside.

"Finally." I let out a breath of relief then rubbed my hand across my forehead, ridding all the moisture. A mix of rain and sweat. 

Ellie planted herself  onto a rock, bouncing her knees and roughly massaging her knuckles. She was obviously shaken. It's not everyday someone holds a gun to your head. I rest my hand on her shoulder, looking over her worriedly.

"You okay, Ellie?"

Her head stayed forward, a blank expression on her face, and her answer not very convincing, "Yeah, yeah...I'm okay."

There was a moment of silence, a loud silence. One that made we wonder - what now? I took it Tess shared a similar feeling when she stopped in front of me.

"Alright, what's the deal?" Her gaze shifted between Ellie and I, searching for an explanation. 

I met Ellie's eyes for a few moments, unspoken words passing between us. We knew what we had to do. I nudged my head and she hesitantly stood up. She sighed delicately, "Look at this." She rolled up her sleeve revealing the bite mark to the smugglers.

Tess' expression fell in shock, I couldn't tell if it was a good shock or a bad shock. Joel, who looked from over her shoulders, didn't even want to give us the time of day.

"I don't care how you got infected." He turned his back to us, both hands on his hips.

"It's three weeks old," my niece explained, getting a reaction out of Tess.

"Bullshit," she hissed. "Everyone turns within two days."

"She's telling the truth," I said calmly, and went into greater detail to give them more context. "She was gone for a few days. When she came home, it was already scabbing over..." 

I didn't believe it myself when she first showed it to me. God, I don't think I'd ever been so angry with her. But, the next morning when it hadn't looked any worse. In fact, it looked better - I couldn't deny it.