-Hold Me Close-

3 weeks since Colorado

This building was about as confusing as a corn maze. Every corner I turned looked the same. Every wall and door. I was going in circles. At least, that's what it felt like. We walked in for supplies, Joel said we would be ten minutes tops. That's what I remember him saying, but I swear I've been walking down these hallways for hours. 

Dingy, worn-down walls with chipping paint, exposing the wood underneath. It was dark too. I didn't recall it being this dark when we first got here. The sun was out, it was shining through the windows – I remember. 

I rounded the same corner for the hundredth time, and I decided I've had enough. I wanted out. I turned on my heels, walking back the way I came. "Joel? Ellie?" 

A sickening uneasiness pooled in the pit of my stomach. They were right behind me – I remember. 

Wait – no. I don't even remember walking in the building or how we got here in the first place. "Joel? Ellie?" I repeated, a little more panicked and my fast walk shifted into a slow jog.

"Hello!" I shouted, poking my head into each room I passed by. Where the hell did they go? The palm of my hand slapped against old wooden doors as I pushed them open. 

Empty, empty, empty, empty.  

"Joel!" 

I slowed down to a stop then heeled over to rest my hands on my knees. My chest rose and fell quickly as heavy breaths escaped me. This wasn't right. Something was wrong. My eyes stared at the ground as I tried to calm down and think straight. If I just retrace my steps, I can find my way out. Joel and Ellie, they're probably looking for me too. We'll run into each other. We'll run into each other. 

I swallow down my fear and stand up straight. The hallway stretching out before me felt longer than it did a minute ago. It looked endless. And it was cold suddenly, the temperature had dropped significantly. I exhaled deeply and I see my breath visualized right before my eyes. My brows draw together as I step backward. 

"What the fuck is going on?" I ask, not expecting to receive an answer. 

"Funny, isn't it? No matter how hard you try, you can't forget the past."

My heart stopped. My throat went dry and tight. It was hard to breath. Everything told me not turn around, but my body acted on its own accord. My eyes clasped shut – I didn't want to see him. 

"Ah, c'mon now. Let me see those pretty eyes." 

Again, my body disobeyed my wishes, forcefully opening my eyes bringing me face to face with David. It wasn't possible. "I killed you," I said, my voice feeble. 

He clicks his tongue in a disapproving manner, shaking his head. "No, no, Ruth. You can't get rid of me that easily."

I'm frozen in place. All I wanted was to step back as he stepped forward, but I couldn't. My feet were nailed to floor, heavy as a bag of rocks. I struggled simply trying to lift my foot in the air. 

"You see, I'm never truly gone." 

When I watched a snowflake fall and land onto his shoulder, then another on the tip of my nose. I wasn't sure if I was going insane or died and been transported to my own personal hell. Nothing about this was right. This wasn't real. This isn't real. 

I flinch as he brings his face inches from mine. "What do you want?" I gain the courage to ask, no less scared. 

He holds his hands out to the side. "Isn't it obvious?" His head tilts to the side, a sinister look in his eyes. "I want you." 

𝐀𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐅𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐬 : 𝐉𝐨𝐞𝐥 𝐌𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐫जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें