54. Mamma

"Wilhelm, the bodyguards are going back to Forest Ridge house."

"Why?!" He felt the panic creep in and wished he hadn't picked up the phone after all.

"You were seen at the cinema with Simon and no bodyguards. I don't think you understand how dangerous that is, and we can't take the risk anymore."

Wilhelm thought he'd seen the girls recognize him before the lights went off in the theater, and then take out their phones later, but he also thought he'd managed to turn his back fast enough not to be recognized in any photos.

He knew that his mother was more concerned about him being seen with Simon in public than being in any actual physical danger.

He realised too that Simon was probably quite recognizable now, especially in Bjärstad, and Wilhelm didn't see the use in denying it to his mother.

"Ok. So then what? ...I can never leave without bodyguards again?"

"Wilhelm, you know security is necessary, especially if you're going to keep making unwise decisions.

"I just want a normal life sometimes." He said it without any real hope, sitting down on the bed. He gave up as he wasn't interested in going in circles with her.

He knew that Lena, and Noah, were going to be waiting for him in a couple of hours at the café he'd found Sara in the evening of the Jubilee. He had been nearly ready to hop out the window and head to the bus just as she called.

His being discovered, probably by an assistant to his mother whose only job was to monitor social media for terms like "Wilhelm" and "Crown Prince", was extremely inconvenient to say the least.

He wasn't sure what tactic to take at that point. The guards were probably already on their way up from the gatehouse, so making a run for it wasn't an option.

He thought of the ace he had waiting and told himself he may as well pull it out now, but it was extremely risky, and a lot earlier than he'd expected to have to use it.

He knew there would be a very aggressive reaction from his mother, after her initial denial.

"Mamma, I need to leave tonight."

"What are you talking about? You know that can't happen."

"I have something important to do without bodyguards and I'm not going to answer any questions."

He hesitated, really taking in the fact that this was his last chance to turn back.

"This is a joke, Wilhelm. I'm not going to discuss this anym-"

"Then...I didn't want to do this...but...I have some old letters of yours."

She hesitated.

"What are you talking about, Wilhelm?"

He could hear her tone change slightly. She was trying to feign a lack of concern as well as a lack of understanding, but he could tell it wasn't sincere. She knew exactly what he was talking about.

"Letters you sent to August's father, maybe thirty years ago...before you met dad..."

"Wilhelm, I don't know what you're talking about, but this is pointless. The bodyguards should be outside already."

She hung up on him. He expected they'd have at least a bit more back and forth and suddenly he was worried that he'd really miscalculated this move.

He didn't hear any movement in the corridor just yet. He cracked the door open and stuck his head out. Still no one. He opened his window quietly, stuck one leg over the frame and immediately saw his male bodyguard approaching from below...

"Fuck!" He pulled his leg back in, shut the window and drew the curtain.

He decided to send a message.

"I think they might take me out tonight. If I haven't said anything in the next hour, I haven't got my phone anymore and they've probably taken me out of Hillerska."

He quickly deleted all messages to the contact.

He heard someone enter the corridor. He listened closely and recognized Malin's footfalls.

He accepted that he was trapped, for the night at least, and let Lena know he wouldn't be able to make it that evening and didn't know when he would get another chance to meet them.

He deleted their messages too.

________

He woke up suddenly to a loud knocking at the door.

Jan Olof didn't wait for Wilhelm to answer the knock and opened the door suddenly, then closed it again just as quickly.

"Kronprinsen, we have something to discuss."

Wilhelm sat up, startled, and threw his feet over the bed to plant them on the floor.

"What the fuck...? Can I get dressed first?"

"We're not going anywhere, Kronprinsen."

Wilhelm looked at Jan Olof, trying to guess what strategy he was going to employ here.

"Where are they?"

Wilhelm lifted his eyebrows, then turned his head slightly as if he were trying to hear Jan Olof better.

"Ursäkta?"

"The letters, Kronprinsen." Jan Olof was not amused.

"My mother's never heard of them. They must not be hers..." Wilhelm looked at him defiantly.

"Alright. The bodyguards are coming in to search if you don't turn them over. I'd rather this be quick and easy, so I recommend you take the opportunity to hand them over now."

"Do you really think I'd keep them in my room?" Wilhelm stopped feigning ignorance suddenly, giving Jan Olof a dark glare then.

"Well, we have to check. Malin will accompany you to class. Give me your phone, then you can get dressed, Kronprinsen."

Wilhelm had expected they would take his phone at some point which was why he'd deleted messages and some contact names, but he wasn't ready to turn it over.

"No. I'm keeping my phone. It's the only way I have of contacting my mother." He found a pretext Jan Olof couldn't argue with.

"Fine. Remember that we have access to all of your social media, Kronprinsen. The Queen is considering taking you out of school for real this time, with no coming back, if you don't cooperate."

Wilhelm realised they hadn't really intended to take his phone but they wanted to remind him that they were watching him online too.

Jan Olof left Wilhelm alone long enough for him to get dressed and grab his math book. He opened the door to three expectant faces watching him. He made his way past them and heard Malin follow behind.

Season 3 Young Royals (Version 1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara