Chapter 28: A Swirl of Feathers

Start from the beginning

"She was already unconscious when we were brought to the tunnel", Mohy defended.

"Which is why it was fortunate that the new guardian is a Seer, though an untrained one", the man said.

"I'm not a guardian, my sister is", Louis persisted.

"The sentinels answered your call."

Louis' expression became stormy that Fred intervened, saying, "How many guardians are assigned in this country, Mr...?"

"Messenger, no honorifics. Why-" The man's eyes narrowed a fraction then cleared in understanding. "There is always only one for each. One guardian and one successor", he added as an afterthought.

The Messenger's pause hinted that there were more guardians, not just in the tunnels. The founding families of the Mysts could be one of them, Fred thought. The man's reluctance to share this information set off questions to churn in his head: How wide was this network? Who or to whom did they answer to? What exactly was in the Mysts that need protection?

Fred glanced at Tony who absently rubbed his chin in deep thought. The chauffeur knew a great deal about the Mysts since he lived his whole life in it. Still, the guardians' existence was a well-guarded secret. It was probable that they themselves weren't aware of each other's real identities, except for the founding families - if his theory was correct. In addition, Tony's befuddled expression when the tunnels were mentioned implied that he was more out of the loop than Fred. The doctor reached the conclusion that Tony's familiarity with the Mysts' secrets was limited to common history books, lore and superstition.

"I am not going back", Louis broke Fred's reverie. "There has to be another way."

"Your father is the best chance we have. He has the reputation and the resources", the Messenger reasoned.

"I thought you were going to help."

"I am. I advise you to set aside your differences for the sake of your people, Guardian."

"It's not that simple." Louis clenched and unclenched his hands.

"You are the one who is making this difficult", the Messenger chided. "Your father is willing to meet you halfway if you would do the same."

Realisation dawned on Louis. "You spoke to him." The sullenness changed to anger. "When? Did he send you?"

"The Libyan despot has already set his sights on the tunnels He is deploying his soldiers to scour his lands for passages similar to the tunnel you sealed. It is only a matter of time before he finds another and uses it to obtain new territories. Your country is not the only one in danger."

"He means to start a war? Our homeland is bankrupt", Mohy said, frowning.

The Messenger pinned him in place with a knowing look. "Never underestimate a madman with an insatiable lust for power." He turned the intensity of his gaze at Louis. "What say you, Guardian?"

"Can't we just seal all the tunnels?" Louis stated the most obvious solution to the problem.

"No. There is a reason they were built." The Messenger shook his head. "Do not ask. It is not part of my directive to disclose information about the matter."

Louis' scowl deepened; the wheels on his head turning. Fine, I'll talk to him", he conceded, sighing. "I still think my being a guardian is a mistake."

The Messenger cocked a brow but didn't say a word. His gaze shifted to Zafeera. A mixture of displeasure, respect and pity warred in his expression. A step forward brought him a hand span away from touching her. The corners of his mouth pulled downward, a small crease formed between his eyebrows.