Where I Belong

The sun peeked over the horizon in the desert as it slowly started to ascend through the sky.

And meanwhile, Duncan was sleeping peacefully upside down on the edge of a cliff with his wings draped around his body like a cloak as he used the tendons in his wings to lock his toes together and hang himself while he slept. The boy had a rough night of training last night and was still in his Kaiju form since Belloc's warned and made him learn that he can't let his guard down and turn back into his human form in the territory of the Kaijus.

Duncan snored softly in his sleep and continued to sleep for the next ten minutes before the wind blew and made his body swayed slightly which instantly woke him up as he opened his eyes and sleepily looked around, stretching his wings open. For a second, Duncan was confused with why he was seeing things upside down before he eventually realized and recalled that he's been sleeping on the edge of the cliff like a bat since last night and it was morning now which means...he did it!

A happy smile made its way onto Duncan's face when he realized that he's succeeded in managing to hang upside down on the edge of a cliff all night like his dad's told him to. "Dad, I did it! I hung on all night. I can't believe it!" he called out happily, knowing that Belloc was already awake earlier than him as he grabbed onto a rock nearby and retracted his wings back into his body. He heard a familiar sound of heavy footsteps approaching which stopped at a few feet away from the edge of the cliff he was hanging on and Duncan instinctively knew that his dad was right above him before he heard him spoke. "Very good, Duncan though I must say that it was hardly a challenge to you, wasn't it?" Duncan heard his father said and his eyes widen slightly, realizing that he was right.

This was the first time in his life that he slept through the night, hanging on the edge of a cliff upside down like a bat and Duncan has expected that he'd feel a bit stiff and tired in the morning, but how he was feeling right now was the complete opposite of what he's expected. In fact, he didn't feel tired or stiff for one bit.

"You're right. I don't even feel tired at all."

"It is as I told you before. Your powers grow daily, Duncan."

"So...I take it I passed this little test? We're done here?" Duncan asked, silently wondering what else he could do in his mind with a smile and it was silent for a few seconds before he heard his father answered his questions, "Almost..."

Suddenly, Belloc slammed his hand down, catching Duncan off guard as the cliff started to collapse, "Hey!!" Duncan let out a startled yelp in surprise as he fell down and hit the ground hard with the rocks and the boulders of the collapsed cliff falling right on the top of him afterwards, causing him to groan in pain. A minute or two later, Duncan snapped out of his daze and quickly got himself out of there, pushing the rocks away as he lifted a boulder off of him.

"I am okay..." he groaned, running a hand through his hair as he shook some dust out of it. Then, he blinked, realizing that the energetic feeling from earlier ago was still there in his chest. "In fact...I feel great. Like I could do anything!" Duncan said with a smile, amazed as he looked at his body while Belloc smiled at his words and walked around from above, watching Duncan as he spoke, "Soon, your power will be limitless like my own, Duncan. But in the meantime, remember to wear your battle harness when you're in a combat. It offers protection against threats you cannot yet imagine."

Duncan hummed slightly and nodded, heeding his father's words as he examined his new battle harness once again. "I'll keep that in mind, dad. So, what's next? Breakfast, I hope," he asked and Belloc hummed back in response, turning to look at the rocks behind Duncan. "Breakfast, hm? That's for you to decide," he said, pointing a finger towards somewhere behind Duncan and before Duncan could ask what he meant, he heard the cliff wall behind him started to move. He turned around swiftly only to see a hidden cave being revealed and a pair of glowing eyes staring right at him.