Deep Space: The Blue Sparrow

Galactic Date 00:09:051 5028

I sat in the Galley alone. Everyone else was off on duty, either helping the other fleets with preparations and planning, or running the ship. I felt like I'd barely sat down at all over the past few days since the summit. Between preparing plans for the battle, to training to get my magic up, there was little time to rest. Lux had mixed me a nice drink before heading off for his watch, and now I sat there, slowly swirling the glass he'd made it in, listening to the ice clink against the sides of the glass. I heard a set of footsteps approaching me, but didn't look up. Someone sat across from me, leaning on the blue plastic of the table.

"You know, I don't think it's going to get any more mixed." Olivia said. I finally looked up, shrugging.

"I suppose not." I said, taking a sip. The drink was sickeningly sweet. I grimaced a bit. She saw the face I made, holding her hand out for me to slide it to her. I shifted my wrist, the glass skidding across the table into her palm. She took a sip and grimaced as well.

"Fuck. For such a good cook that kid cannot mix a drink." She slid the drink back to me. "How you holding up?" She asked.

"Nervous." I said. "We're running headfirst into the biggest battle I've seen." Olivia pursed her lips, looking up at me.

"I get that." She said. "It's not going to be easy, I'll be fully honest with you... but you're a good leader. You have a good crew and a lot of people who are here for you." She stared down into the table. "It's a good thing you're here, truly. You could honestly use the rest."

"Yeah, it's been a tiring week." I said. "Hell, it's been a tiring month."

"I can imagine!" She said, leaning forward. "Swept from your home into a grand adventure across the galaxy with your best friend and a-" she put a hand over her chest dramatically, "dashing captain to usher you along on your journey to taking charge of the ship. Saving the galaxy in its time of greatest need!" She leaned back, throwing a hand up over her forehead, turning up the theatrics. "Oh swoon!" She said. I laughed as she melted backward over the table. She opened her eyes, looking up at me. I lifted her back up into her seat, sitting her down.

"Of course, they would be swooning for his former captain more than him, dashing as she is." I teased. She smirked.

"Oh well, of course!" She said with a laugh. "Who wouldn't fall for this woman?" She posed. I smiled, leaning forward over the table.

"It's good seeing you like this." I said.

"Like what?"

"Loose, carefree. You've been so stuck in your head since I came onboard. It's good to see you finally able to relax." She chuckled, swiping the drink from me.

"I suppose so. It's... nice not having that pressure on my shoulders anymore... not that I meant to just dump it on you-" I cut her off.

"I accepted the position, didn't I? I'm happy to be where I am, and I'm happy you are where you are." She nodded, leaning forward, taking a sip. She grimaced again. "I don't know what you expecte-"