The Blue Sparrow: Transit to Tanahen

Galactic Date 00:08:435 5028

We'd managed to get back as the repairs to the Sparrow had neared completion. Explaining the situation to Sterling and the crew, it was obvious we needed to make it to Tanahen. After a brief period of supplying, and an earful from Rex about pushing my magic too far, we set out. Jewls had joined up with us, towing Lux along with her. The Olympus was now docked below decks in our belly hangar. Finally, we had a pilot. The kid was happy to come along with us and was even more excited to play a part in the ship. He took to her quickly, too; it seemed.

Jewls, as per usual, was another beast entirely. Her general demeanor was standoffish at best. From the minute she got on board, we hardly saw her. From what I understood, she always said she was off meditating. Meditating on what, I couldn't tell you, but I knew she wasn't there when we took off, and only showed up again when my opening watch ended. She'd approached me, telling me it was time for us to train.

WHACK. Another bolt of magic threw me from our mats, sending me tumbling across the steel floor of our cargo bay. She was brutal, unrelenting. In the brief hour we'd trained, my body was already coated in welts and bruises from where I'd been struck. I felt the coldness of a steel bar pressed against my throat. I pushed it away, staring up at her as I heaved through my breaths.

"Again." She ordered. I dragged myself to my feet, moving to the pads. It wasn't like they did any good, anyway. Any time she hit me, it had enough force behind it to blast me into a wall. Limply, I put my hands up, wincing from the dozens of hits I'd taken.

"Don't you think... it might be time for a break?" I asked, my chest trying to get more air than I could take in. She put her staff under my chin, tilting it up to look at her.

"We've only just begun, Ortell. I came to this ship to train you. You've demonstrated already that you have very little actual skill. Now," she unsummoned her staff, putting her hands up, "again." I pursed my lips and drew my arms back. I fired off a few bolts in her direction. She twisted her body. The bolts swirled around her, firing back in my direction. I swept my arm aside, deflecting them into the floor with a barrier. Then I felt that familiar sting as a bolt hit my side. Again, it sent me off balance. Another bolt struck me, and once more I ended up on my ass halfway across the room. My body stung so much it felt warm in every limb. I groaned as I grabbed a nearby table, pulling myself up to my feet. I could feel how sore my muscles were from casting so much, and I knew I couldn't stand much more of this.

"You know, this would probably be a lot more helpful if you actually taught me something, rather than just throwing me into a wall over and over again." I spat. She squinted before stomping to where I was, hoisting me up by the collar before setting me on my feet. The two of us stood at height with each other, each of us staring the other down.

"You will not learn if you are not under duress. It is instinct, not just something you are taught." She said through gritted teeth.

"Oh? And how would you know? Have you ever tried actually teaching someone?!" I shouted. She took a step back, but kept herself calm, collected.

"I never needed to be taught. I learned all that I learned because my situation called for it. You can barely even see magic, if at all. This is a basic skill. That you have not mastered it is concerning. Dire circumstances call for harsher training." She held her chin high. I tossed my hands up.

"Oh fantastic. So, what? I just get beat up over and over again till I'm a bloody pulp and I might figure something out?"

"That's the idea of it." Her nonchalantness only succeeded in angering me more.