Chapter 23- Fake Fury

Audre and the Jaguar froze.

     Audre's heart hammered against her chest. 'Out of all the questions, he could ask! Does he know?'

     "If you don't want this Jaguar little female, there are plenty of males ready and willing to gain your attention," the leopard said before narrowing his eyes at Audre. "Unless there is a reason you can't mate."

     Audre began to understand what the leopard meant now. 'Ah. So that's what he thinks.'

     Audre tore away from the Jaguar and stalked toward the leopard with as much fake fury as she could muster. "What's your problem, Huh!? What is your obsession with me and my mate's love life!?"

     The leopard looked stunned at Audre's sudden outburst. "Well, ughh...

     'He's unsettled now. Good.'

     Audre stopped in front of the leopard and crossed her arms. She let her frown melt into a snarky grin. "Ooooh, I see. Trouble in paradise? You and the chief not getting any action, so you spy on some new couple. Are you a pervert?"

     The leopard stepped back from Audre. His face turned as red as a tomato. "Wha- What are you even saying?"

     "You know exactly what I'm saying." Audre's smile grew as she took a step forward. "Look little leopard, the Chief said a lunar cycle, so I can take all the sweet precious time I want. M'kay."

     Audre turned and strolled back toward the Jaguar who stared at her with his mouth agape. She grabbed his hand and pulled him along in the direction that she hoped was toward the river.

     As she and the Jaguar walked away, Audre stole a peek behind her. She could see the leopard glaring at her with his face still noticeably red. Audre giggled as she walked away.

....................................................................................................

Vadon POV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Vadon was shocked by Audre's outburst. He hadn't been expecting Audre to do anything like that. He stared at her dumbfounded as she dragged him through the jungle.

     Finally, when he thought he was out of earshot of the leopard he spoke. "I can't believe you did that?"

     "Huh?" Audre said looking back at him. "Oh, thought of it on the fly. He's more annoying than you."

     "What does on the fly mean?" Vadon asked. "Wait did you just call me annoying!?"

     Audre waved her hand dismissively. "The problem is that the leopard likely thinks I'm cursed. Can't have him assuming that."

     "Yeah, if they assume you're cursed, you'll be purified," Vadon said.

     Audre frowned. "Purified?"

     "Burned." Vadon clarified. "Alive."

     "Oh."

     Vadon frowned as they continued forward. He wasn't annoying, was he? Maybe she was getting back at him for refusing to take her to the inner village or the river.

     'Wait the river!'

     Vadon stopped in his tracks causing Audre to stop as well."Wait! We shouldn't go this way."

     "And why not? Isn't this toward the river?" Audre said as she pointed forward.

     Vadon laughed nervously."Actually, I don't know where it is?" Could you believe that?"

     "No," Audre said before attempting to pull him forward, but Vadon refused to move.

     "We can't go to the river." Vadon couldn't bring himself to take her.

     Audre let go of the Jaguar's hand and sighed in frustration. "What's wrong with the river and the inner village? What's got you soooo afraid to take me."

     Vadon looked at his now empty hand a bit disappointed.

     "So?" Audre tapped her foot impatiently.

     Vadon turned back to head toward the tree hole. "I'll tell you when we get back home."

     Once again, Audre refused to follow. "Are you hiding me from other males?"

     Vadon stopped and turned his head back toward Audre. She looked back at him knowingly. It was true after all.

     While Vadon was confident that he could scare away a lot of males, others would remain persistent. What if another male gained Audre's attention? He wasn't Audre's mate, and the thought of potentially losing her to someone else hurt.