61 - Elis - A Different Encounter

No matter how far they ran, the destruction seemed to lap at their heels.

Above their heads, the bloodshed of the Hyunisti village trailed them. First, it was the sound of crackling and thunder. Then came lightning bolts, the trembling of the earth, and quaking trees. Branches fell throughout the forest while smoldering leaves and embers wafted through the air. A torrent of heaven's fire struck and splintered trees in every direction. Smoke and brimstone surrounded them as they struggled to avoid fallen debris and smaller collapsing trees.

"Elis, this way!" Neris cried.

As she trudged onward, it felt as if the world were ending. Flashes of the razing of their hometown crossed Elis's thoughts as she bolted after Neris. Her bare feet were tender from all the running and the roughness of the scattered tree remnants. Her ankles felt swollen and thin at the same time, but she knew she had to keep moving. She had lost her journal. She had lost her child. The only thing she had left was her twistblade and her life. And Neris. She still had Neris.

"Elis, watch out!" Elis turned her head as a branch crashed down behind her. The large limb grazed her back, tearing her lavender dress open. Her lacerated back was exposed along with her buttocks. The dress clung to her by shreds around her shoulders, the rest floating in tatters about her aching body. "Are you alright!"

"I'm just scratched," Elis murmured as she dragged herself toward Neris's voice. Rounding one tree after another, she spied the Delvori woman clad in her war leathers and bright orange top. "It's getting harder to keep up."

"I didn't think we'd be running this far." Neris cursed beneath her breath, reaching for Elis. "Give me your hand."

"OK." Elis reached out and gripped Neris's hand. With her strong arms, the dark-skinned woman repositioned her, bearing half of Elis's weight. "Neris, you don't—"

"It'll be easier for both of us this way," Neris lied. "There's a clearing south of here where the Grannas merchants gather, correct?"

"When they come, yes," Elis said, panting as they hurried onwards.

"We should be able to catch our breath there."

Elis was wordless as Neris led her along. She was covered in sweat, her dark hair ashen with soot and dirt. Looking at her, Elis realized how much stronger the Delvori woman was. She was cold and calculating, passionate and caring, and in the case of Elis, she had risked her life to save her. Then, without a hint of displeasure, she continued to carry her through the surrounding nightmare.

"Elis, I think I see it!"

Looking up, Elis saw they were nearing the verdant trees lining the edge of the wood. Behind them, the air bubbled red and brown, filled with darkness and firelight. As they crossed the tree line, they stumbled down a knoll to the grass-filled clearing below.

Neris cursed as they tumbled beside each other. Coming to a stop at the bottom of the hill, Elis rolled onto her back, grasping for her family heirloom. Finding the twistblade nearby, she drew it to her breast, cradling it.

"Gods," Neris gasped. She raised herself from the ground, groaning from the spill. "Elis?"

"I'm fine," Elis said, lying on her back as her heartbeat rang through the barbs cradled against her chest.

"Come on; I'll help you up," Neris said, offering her hand. Gripping Neris's palm, Elis looked at the grass clinging to her rags and wounded skin. "No worse for wear, dear?"

"Only a bit chilled," Elis said, feeling the dampness of the grass clinging to her backside.

"I think we've finally outrun it all," Neris said, brushing the grass and dirt from her clothes. "We have some time to catch our breath at least."

"Goddess be blessed, good people, are you alright?" a male voice called from across the clearing.

Elis and Neris turned to see a man in a heavy coat with a large-brimmed leather cap beside his horses, which were restrained by ropes. The animals bucked and snorted as he waved to the women.

"A merchant?" Neris asked.

"I think so," Elis said, taking her place beside her. Behind the man and the horses was a large cart stacked with unseen things covered by a large cloth. "Sir, we're alright!" Waving her arms, Elis signaled things were OK, but as the man stepped from beneath the shade of the far-off trees, she thought she saw something slither through the tall grass.

"Elis." Neris's voice was flat as she put her arm in front of her companion.

"Good people, give me a moment!" the man shouted as he waded through the grass.

"Stay back! There's something in the grass!" Neris warned.

"What?" the man said.

Elis trembled as something strange and horrid climbed up the merchant's back and sat upon his head. Looking closely, Elis saw what appeared to be a thin, skeletal torso forcing itself upon the man's head and upper body. With a pop that could be heard across the way, the menacing figure of a torn and shredded nectar maiden attached itself to the man's body. Thin red lines of drizzle worked their way from underneath its mangled ribcage as a muffled scream permeated its stomach flab. The man scratched at the thing above him, but within moments began to jerk and convulse before standing limp.

"Oh gods no," Neris hissed, looking at the creature.

"It's . . . it's Thaimi." Elis felt her stomach drop as she stared at the familiar hazel hair with white ribbons. Even from a distance, she felt the maiden's dead emerald eyes staring her down. "Neris, what do we do?"

"We can't fight it." Her voice was bitter as she drew forth one of her knives. "At least she didn't catch us in the woods. Out in the open here, we're at a slight advantage."

"How so?"

"That." Neris nodded to Elis's hands.

Indeed, her twistblade was a formidable piece, and in the clearing, it was a perfect weapon. As the four-armed, two-chested monstrosity crossed the clearing toward them, Elis trembled. If eviscerating the nectar maiden didn't kill her, what chance did they have of stopping her now?

"Cover me, alright?" Neris said, gripping Elis's wrist. "With those barbs, you can keep it moving or trap it for a time. Keep the thing off my back, and I can get a few cuts in. If we're lucky, I can cripple it, and we can run off with the horses."

"Maybe we'll be lucky, and it's taken on more weight than it can bear."

"Every time we've seen one of these things move, they've been fast. Let's not underestimate it."

Elis was terrified. The toil of escape would be for naught if they died there. Both of them had to make it out alive, or there would be nothing left.

"Vindal?"

"Yes, Neris?"

"We're going to get through this," Neris said. "I promise."

Her heart skipping a beat, Elis nodded and readied her weapon. "Both of us are leaving here," she said as she fought back tears. "I promise."

"There's the woman I fell in love with," Neris said with a chuckle, donning her usual nonchalant tone. "Just let me do most of the talking, dear."

"Alright," Elis whispered.

Neris stepped in front. With a scream, the creature deformed the man beneath her into an equine shape, rearing up on the man's haunches like the hind legs of a horse. His leather jacket tore and dampened as blood spilled beneath it. The man's pants split as his legs twisted and cracked. Each of the maiden's hands wound up into long, barbed lances as she roared at them. Behind her, the horses stamped and begged to be let free.

"Just a couple of cuts to cripple it, and then we can escape," Elis whispered beneath her breath to ease her nerves.