31 - Nerin - Brooding

Though everything conspired to go his way, Nerin could not help but feel a throbbing sense of terror cling to his pulse as he sat in his bed. He had heard of the awakening of the Virage through his subordinates. Adding to the pyre, parts of his request had gone unheeded as the village elders chose their blond strumpet over his guidance. But almost everything was right in the world. Now he had four maidens and with them a partial success in swaying the village to remove its pitiful namesake's bindings. Though it was not the best outcome, even Lord Ohran would have to praise him. And yet he did not wish to travel into the depths of the tree, instead favoring a perch bedside.

Clutching his head in his hands, he tried to discover what he might have done to ensure his total victory. But try as he might, visions of that buxom, bronze witch clouded his mind. She was in league with the Virage; he was sure of it. Whatever her part in the monster's scheme, Nerin was confident they would leverage his sister as well. Though Neris jilted him at every turn, he was sure that if he could expose their manipulations, she would see the truth.

"Naisure, ease yourself," a dull voice beckoned from the hall.

Looking up, Nerin spied the form of the comely woman whom he had bedded and brought before his lord only an evening ago. She wore a simple cotton sheet around her frame as she gawked from the hallway, her green eyes fixated on him. She was different, sterner than the day before, and as she walked in, an aura of obedience filled the room.

"What are you doing here, um . . ." Nerin searched his memory for the woman's name.

"Thaimi, naisure," she said in a pleasant voice, her hazel ears perking up as she shot him a serene smile. "I'm here only to serve you."

"Shouldn't you be at home? Surely you'd rather be there than . . ."

Without a word, the woman placed her finger on his lips. His rust-red orbs scanned her, watching as her pallid form circled him to the bedside. As she sat beside him, a jolt of excitement shot up his legs.

"You are worried, naisure. We can all tell," the dull woman said as she gestured to the doorway. From outside, the other three nectar maidens emerged, their ugly faces and soft green eyes fixated upon him. He scorned the thought of being doted on by such an inferior breed. Yet as each woman took place around him, Nerin was overcome by a sense of elation. "You are strained, naisure. Let us bear your burdens."

"Empty them," the others said in unison. At once Nerin understood, remembering his master's summons. To obtain power was to empty oneself of slights and troubles of the heart. To maintain this was to be free of conscience and apprehension. Though he did not understand it, he knew his inhibitions had beckoned the women to his side. No doubt, it was a sign of his prowess.

"Yes, naisure. Just as the lord spoke." The woman at his right placed her hand upon his bare chest, nodding.

"Just as the lord spoke," the others said.

"Just as the lord spoke." Nerin's voice trailing theirs as one of the maidens placed her brow upon his knee. The other two cradled him in their arms, whispering their admiration as they caressed him.

"You must rest, naisure. Tomorrow begins the final trial," Thaimi said from his right side.

The women at his feet rose, their eyes fixated upon him as the maidens at his right and left coaxed him back. Waves of passion and nausea overtaking his senses, Nerin turned and followed the two to the head of his bed. Behind him, the other two maidens crept up, their faces grazing his legs as he dragged himself onwards.

As he collapsed upon his pillows, the women at his sides draped themselves around his arms and chest. The other two women curled around his legs, their soft breath tickling his skin.