Chapter 22: Dark Protector

Zoya's skull throbbed like it had been hit with concrete

Zoya's skull throbbed like it had been hit with concrete. She couldn't feel her body and even her eyes wouldn't open on command. The last thing she remembered was leaving work to join River at the Centauri pack to celebrate the news of Ender's adoption. She had gotten a gift for Ender too and was going to give it to him tonight. However, everything after that was blank. She couldn't remember anything. Why couldn't she remember anything? she thought.

A muffle of voices caught her attention. She shifted and realized that she was sitting in a chair somewhere. The air was taciturn and bitter, just like how her parents liked it in their house.

"She's in bad shape already and you drugged her," a voice said.

"She'll live, it's just a few cuts and bruises, and the drug is so her wolf doesn't show, it's harmless," it was her mother's voice that she heard next.

Zoya froze. Oh god, don't let this be real. Let it be a dream otherwise she wasn't going to live another day.

Suddenly, a cold hand touched her face and took something off her. She realized that she couldn't open her eyes earlier because there was a cloth over her. She blinked away the black splotches from her gaze and focused on everything around her.

Opulent oak floors, that crimson red Victorian rug and that massive table that faced it's back to a huge arched window. The golden drapes made from velvet hung from the windows to the hard floor. The scent of cedar wood and cold venom hit her nose and she knew exactly where she was. Purgatory. The place of her nightmares. The Knightley mansion and her father's study.

Zoya needed to leave. She tried to move but just as she twisted her wrists, they cut into a slick wire and it cut her skin. The wire was what her father adored using on her, it was his preferred method to get her to submit to him. Everything was bound. She was prey being readied for slaughter, just like when she was a kid.

"Don't struggle," her mother snapped at her.

Zoya went completely still.

She remembered now. She was driving home to River when she noticed the vans following her car. She had outrun them all and it wasn't hard for her, but it was when more vans circled around her from the other end of the highway that she crashed into them. She passed out after that and they must have brought her here.

"It was you," she acclaimed.

"It was your father," Ellen revealed.

Zoya looked up at the woman dressed in white. Ellen was beaming delightfully like seeing her own daughter bleeding out on a chair didn't bother her at all, in fact, it pleased her.

"You're not going to ask why you're here?" Ellen baited.

Zoya wasn't worried about that, she needed to figure out how to get out of here. "You must have your twisted reason," she rebuked.