Chapter 10: Red Fang Pack

The last minute ticked by and it was seven o'clock sharp

The last minute ticked by and it was seven o'clock sharp. King had already left to meet with the alpha of the Red Fang pack, but River didn't know how to feel about that matter. He knew that King was more than capable to handle this meeting alone. However, danger lurked around the Centauri pack like a curse; it was inevitable.

"This will get dangerous," claimed River.

"Probably," added Gabriel who was sitting in the back seat.

"We're just meeting Blade, it's not that big of a deal," Ryder pitched-in. "King can handle himself, besides we've got his back."

"Never assume it won't go down with us involved," River didn't like to admit it but he had to. "We should've rescheduled and thought of a different plan."

"Stop worrying, River," said Gabriel.

"Have you met me?" River's voice was stern and quite reprimanding.

"River-"

"Gabriel-"

"River-"

"Dammit all," growled River.

"You know that King is more than capable. So, why don't you drop the act and tell me what really has you agitated?" asked Gabriel.

River locked his eyes with that amber gaze through the rear-view mirror, at times like this, he wasn't staring into the eyes of his friend but the alpha of the pack. River removed his eyes first because he couldn't find the words to tell Gabriel what was wrong. How could he? When River didn't understand his own emotions right now. His head and heart and body were all on different pages. Except, the one thing simmering inside him was Zoya. Everything about her made his skin crawl and he hated it.

Zoya had asked him to dinner tonight at eight o'clock, but River had no idea what to do. If he went then she would mark him... but if he didn't go... then... she would leave? His gut churned from the thought alone.

River was restless ever since he came back from spending the day with her this morning. He never anticipated that a person could lure him like she had. Her wit, her charm, her beauty was too much for him. He couldn't stay calm near her, he couldn't breathe or find the words to tell her that she was out of his league. He didn't deserve her and she didn't deserve a man like him. A man who couldn't even face his own heart. This was why River kept everyone away from him, but Zoya pushed past his walls and kissed him. The kiss that didn't just touch his lips, it bore deeper into his body, marking him and urging him to keep her with him forever.

Was this love? he wondered. He cared for her, it was obvious after what happened this morning. When they were leaving the company and that random woman showed, River's wolf was ready to drink her blood from the way she exuded her disgusting pheromones towards Zoya. River had only held back because Zoya told him to, but if they were alone then River would've slit that woman's throat and gladly watched her bleed out. Even now, he wished to do that.