Chapter 21: Miracles

Dinner ended a while ago and King was well aware that River and Zoya hadn't come back inside after they talked on the porch. River was helping Zoya and that resulted in taking her to his cabin; King approved of that and would do the same. Except, his mate was sitting next to Ender who was petting the small pup on his lap to sleep. King wanted to take Klaus upstairs and comfort him because he could see that his mate's heart was breaking.

Robert Centauri may be dead, but he scarred Klaus to the point that he'd never really heal. Yes, there were days that Klaus didn't remember the torment that his father inflicted on him. However, after finding out how Zoya's parents abused her, Klaus was the one who took the news the hardest.

Klaus was sitting with the family and the act he played was near perfect. He had everyone fooled with his pretty smile and those gleaming emerald eyes. Yet, King's heart felt as if it was being sliced open and all the life seeped out of him. He knew that he was sensing his mate and that's why the beautiful smile didn't fool King.

King walked into the living-room and sat with Sabrina across from Klaus. He kept his distance because he knew that Klaus wasn't going to share his pain right now. He would put on a brave face and tell no one to worry about him. King had to wait for Klaus.

A hand nudged King, it was Sabrina. "You don't look good. Is everything okay?" she asked him, her gently aqua-green eyes looking at him.

"No," he couldn't deny her because Sabrina was the one person who had known King when he was a kid. She was his only friend growing up and it was true what the pack members said that he had a soft spot for her.

She followed his gaze that was glued to Klaus. "What'd you do?" she suspected.

"Why do you assume I did anything?" he retorted.

Sabrina chuckled. "Because you're the wicked one, remember?"

King couldn't deny that either. "Klaus found out that Zoya's parents abused her," he told her.

Sabrina's eyes widened. "That's not good," she said gravely.

It didn't go unnoticed by King when Sabrina put her hand gently on her belly where her baby was growing. She held a tense look and took a few deep breaths.

"I haven't even met my baby yet I would die for him or her," she said. "But there are some people out there that birth kids only to torture them. I don't think I'll ever understand why."

"I don't get it either," he said bitterly. "It seems like every one of us that's in this room has been subjected to stupid parents."

Sabrina scoffed. "That's an understatement."

King didn't know his parents nor did he search for them, and he never regretted that decision either, because he always knew the truth would hurt him more. It was better for him to believe that his parents died and no one claimed him. That's the story he went with and society had its gossip about him saying he was the devil's child... he didn't find any point in denying that either.

The entire time they had chatted while watching a movie, Klaus avoided King's gaze like he couldn't face his true feelings right now. But that was Klaus; he powered through his suffering because he never liked to take anyone's smile away. He was sitting with Ender and the small pup River with them. All three of them seem content on playing with the pup, Bone was busy feeding the pup treats and fattening him up, which the pup was in need of. King sat back and watched his little family comfort one another with no words.