Chapter 8: A Date with the Drakov Brothers

Zoya was relieved that the weather was exceptionally warm today

Zoya was relieved that the weather was exceptionally warm today. The sky was crystal clear and the sun was high up in the sky brimming with its cheerful light. Some of the snow had melted, so the pavements were cleared from any ice, which made it perfect to go where she had planned this special date. Frankly, she woke up this morning convinced that she wasn't going to trouble River, but when she called Azura to ask about the flowers, Azura had laughed so hard that Zoya needed to see River's reaction herself. She called River and she could sense his awkward reaction through the call, that she couldn't hold back. Instead of driving to work, she turned the car around and came straight to the Centauri pack territory.

"Look who's in the back!" Ryder exclaimed, as he pulled out of the car and held River in his arms.

"He'll be joining us," Zoya said.

"I think he grew," Ryder said as the pup who was overflowing in his arms.

"Really," Zoya stared at the pup seeing no difference.

"He has," River said as he came up behind her. "Since you're always with him, you don't notice the change."

Zoya grabbed the pup's squishy face, his blue eyes looked at her. "You can't get big too fast," she said. "If you grow up you'll stop listening to me."

Ryder laughed. "I don't think he will do that," he said. "He loves you too much."

"At least one River does," she remarked dramatically.

Ryder put his hand on her shoulder. "I apologize on the behalf of my idiot brother."

Zoya put her hand on his shoulder and said; "Your brother is lucky to have you."

"I know but he never shows it," said Ryder with a pout.

"What will we ever do?" Zoya said dejectedly.

Ryder wiped a non-existent tear. "I don't know-"

"Are you two done or should I give you another minute?" River remarked between them.

Zoya bit her laughter back. "Okay everyone, get in the car," she said. "Let's get this show on the road."

Ryder put the pup in River's arms and went around to the passenger side leaving River standing in the back. "Oh, did you want to sit next to Zoya?" Ryder asked.

Zoya looked between the brothers; while one was glaring, the other was grinning like the cheeky wolf he was. "Don't tease him too much, Ryder," she said. "I already do that enough." She laughed as she got in the car and so did they.

They set off on the road and she drove down the long highways to get to the outskirts of the city. She knew these roads like the back of her hand, because these roads lead to the only place that comforted her when she needed an escape from her parents.