Chapter 7: Armour

Zoya stood in front of the man that was infuriatingly handsome

Zoya stood in front of the man that was infuriatingly handsome. He was in a tailored Italian suit, which surprised her since he only ever wore that rugged leather jacket. She studied every inch of him, the lines of his rigid shoulders, his lean waist and still couldn't get enough, especially those blue eyes that told her everything she needed to know about what he masked. She wanted nothing more than to wrap her arms around him and take him where they could be alone. But she knew that wasn't possible. He was too stubborn for his own good.

"River, you're still holding my arm," she said wondering if he heard her. "If I look too pretty, you could just compliment me."

River's frown deepened at her chirpy tone. Although, right now she was feeling anything but chirpy.

She drew in a deep breath of the cold air. She looked back at Noah apologetically. "I'll meet you inside," she said.

"Is everything okay?" he asked looking warily at River.

She smiled. "Still figuring that out myself," she admitted. Thankfully, Noah went inside.

Who would have thought that a simple dinner with Skyler and his fiancé would turn into this? She was in the middle of the street with River holding her arm.

"We've made progress," she affirmed. "I never thought you would be the one to hold me back."

"It's not like that," River's tone was rigid and cold.

Zoya faced him now and stepped closer too. "Has anyone ever told you that you have really nice eyes?" He stiffened and it was clear that he was tense from the way his jaw clenched over and over again. "Eyes that give everything away-" she took a breath of his penetrating scent that made her feel like a puddle. Her legs slackened and she tried hard not to let the desperation show on her face. "Is there a reason you would grab my arm?" she asked. "Or did you not want me leaving you alone on the street?"

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I already told you," she answered. "I was invited to dinner." When his brows furrowed even further, Zoya burst out laughing at him. "Wow-" she didn't get this man at all- "at one point you're telling me that you're not interested. And now, you want to know about my date."

"Er- well," River stuttered.

She actually managed to render this man speechless. "This is your punishment," she said. "Be curious the entire night about my date."

"Excuse me," River's brows shot up at her smug expression. He pulled in closer towering over her. "You know, it'll only take me one phone call to get a background check on that man and know everything there is to know."

"Then do it," she dared boldly. Zoya watched the dark expression turn almost murderous; it was hilarious. "Have fun. But not too much without me, okay." Zoya left with a wide smile on her face.