Chapter 4: Centauri Institute

The bell rang through another day at school

Ender shut the door to his locker and grabbed his bag off the ground before walking into his first class of the day. Mrs. Anderson wasn't sitting at her desk at the front of the chalk board, which he didn't find odd because she was usually getting her cup of coffee before coming here. Ender knew the drill and he learned pretty quickly that every morning she liked yesterday's assignment to be handed in on time.

Ender already had the blue folder with his assignment inside in his hand. He placed the folder in the empty white bin then sat down at his desk near the window.

As usual, he was the first in class too. None of his classmates were here yet and it was because they were all busy talking to their friends near their lockers.

Ender has been coming to this school for a while now but he hadn't gotten close to anyone. Too many of them kept asking questions about him, he didn't blame them because that was the only way to get to know him. Except, no one should know about his past, so he stayed away from others rather than opening up about things that would give them nightmares. He doubted they would even want to know about the gruesome details of his past.

The other kids that came with him from Zero's sanctuary were here too, but they were in other classes and grades. Darren and Tyler who worked at the sanctuary worked at this school now too. Darren took the position as the Head Councillor and Tyler was the gym teacher. They seemed to be doing well and they adapted pretty quickly to the new school. Not that they had any choice when their last home was burned down to ashes and they lost everyone and everything.

A dark pit sank in his gut.

A bunch of vile men attacked Maya's Sanctuary and kidnapped him with a bunch of other slaves. However, that wasn't the worst part. Those men destroyed that sanctuary and everyone died, including Diego and Hagen, the ones that he considered friends. They all perished and it hadn't sunk in that he lost them. He really didn't like thinking about that day. That memory was far too fresh, it still bled when he thought about Diego and Hagen and the others.

Ender turned his head away from those memories otherwise a whole day could go by. Whenever he was at school, he concentrated on the class. He worked and studied in his spare time and if he wasn't at home reading then he was at the library studying. He never told anyone but he liked doing homework and writing up assignments because he wasn't able to do them before. In the cages, he rarely read books and he never got the chance to hold a pencil longer than a few seconds. He took every opportunity now to learn everything he could here, soaking it all into him and not wasting a moment. Centauri Institute was the one place Ender felt... safe.

The second bell rang and now students started to move to get to their class. Ender was acutely aware of the door and the hallway with bustling students. He distracted himself and took out his books and pencil from his bag.