Chapter 15: Blood Promise

King started off the porch and Ender scurried after him, his small feet were the reason he was running just to follow King's single stride. The man was severely tall and scary too which lead Ender to speculate about the angel wings tattoo on the back of King's neck; it was a strange choice for someone like him. Ender wanted to ask about it but he kept his curiosity to himself and focused on keeping up with King instead.

It was early but the Institute was overflowing with students and teachers. No one rested here and it was always busy.

King took him inside the school and straight to the private elevators, which weren't used by any of the students. These elevators were used for the pack enforcers and Alpha Gabriel or the Beta Hunter.

Ender hurried in after King into the sleek metal box, the doors closed quickly after them. King clicked a glowing white button and the box started to move. Up or down, Ender wasn't too sure since it felt like it hardly even moved at all. The only way he figured it out was by looking at the large screen on the top that went from 'one' to 'basement'. The doors pinged open. Ender didn't know there was such a place here, he was sure that no one else know either.

Immediately, as they got out, Ender found himself in a large white hallway and a bright light at the end of it. They both went down when Ender heard the sound of voices and other noises. As they emerged from the end of the hallway, a massive area presented itself.

"Welcome to the Centauri training grounds," King said as they walked into the gym.

Ender didn't know where to look first, it was huge. Not only were there countless equipment pieces, but also a bunch of pack members using them at the time too. The entire area was padded with dark grey mats, which looked to be the reason the members could practice their combat tactics. Right now, Azura was leading a class with group of members. Ender found Dante and Leo with her too, they were listening to her words carefully, while wiping their sweat on their shirts. The other members were sitting on the ground waiting for their turn. Azura looked formidable in her leather suit that was molded to her body like skin. She had daggers, weapons strapped to her body too and it was for everyone to see them. She stood cross-armed, her long braid over her shoulder and a stern air around her as she spoke to Dante and Leo. Ender wondered how she got so powerful to be such a scary fighter for the Centauri pack. Where did Alpha Gabriel find these many fighters? Ender pondered.

"Azura," King called out to her.

Her silver-coin eyes looked at King and then down at Ender. "What's up?"

"How's training going?" King asked.

A smirk lifted on her lips. "I'm having fun beating these little pups into shape," she jested and a bunch of groans followed, which proved that everyone was indeed getting beat up by her.

King continued to talk about the training and Ender shifted to the side, standing behind them. He heard them exchange a few words but didn't pay any more attention because he was trying not to watch the training. Dante and Leo were going against two other boys, it seemed that they were being trained as a pair. Azura and King watched carefully and gave pointers, but that all muffled the moment Ender caught the sounds of fists thrashing and bodies hitting the ground.

Ender flinched at every sound, he realized much later that he had stepped away from them, until he needed the wall to support him.

Why did King bring him here?

Darkness overflowed inside him.

Ender tried. He tried and tried to push away the torment surging through his body, which chained him to cages. He didn't want to remember each and every fight he battled through. The scars on his body were the result from using his fists on others, even taking their life with his hands. Ender had killed. He knew what it felt like to take a soul from a body and then beg at night for forgiveness. Ender had even broken his own bones to be punished for his sins, but it wasn't enough. All the faces of the people he killed haunted him, they were still with him with every scar he had on his small body.