Chapter 12: Bleeding Heart

It was dark when Zoya woke up, which was strange because she usually left a lamp on. However, it was after she tried to move and her body ached that she remembered her mother had locked her up in the basement. She grew alert and opened her eyes, but the only light that helped her was peeking from the crevice of the door above the stairs. She could see sunlight or maybe it was the chandeliers, she didn't know.

Zoya shifted onto her back which didn't help the pain since the floor was concrete and cold as ice. The ache on her ribs throbbed every time she took a breath, she felt some wetness around her dress and it was clear that there was blood. She was frozen to the touch and the skimpy gown she wore didn't protect her either, which was because her mother chose this dress for her.

Zoya remembered the look on her mother's face when she refused to wear such a revealing gown. It was clear from that point that her mother would lock her up after the party. However, that didn't stop Zoya. She may have worn the gown, but the entire time at the party she didn't give anyone the attention they seeked from Ellen Knightley's pristine daughter who was born a beauty and with an honourable pedigree. Everyone admired Zoya Knightley, her mother never let her forget that either. But it was evident that people only admired the name and the legacy stuck to it. No one knew that this admirable legacy was made up of bloodlust and terror. Zoya saw the way her parents looked down on everyone. The Knightley name wasn't to be trusted and Zoya knew that from birth.

Suddenly, the door opened and a figure stood like a dark shadow. "If you learned your lesson, then you can come upstairs and have breakfast," it was her mother who had left right after announcing that.

Zoya struggled to her feet, which were bare. She must have taken off her heels when she fought against her mother before getting locked down here.

Zoya used the ledge to get herself up the steep stairs. She couldn't find the strength in her knees since her entire body was frozen. She needed a hot shower and her bed, she couldn't stomach food right now though. She would eat after her parents left for work, that was the only way.

When Zoya finally reached the top floor, the bright sun stung her eyes. Despite the horrendous basement, the entire Knightley estate was gorgeously designed. Every part of this mansion was as if it was a temple for the gods. Large windows and white drapes showcased the massive property outside and the garden her mother was proud to show off to her friends. The entire interior was designed to scream luxury and money. Zoya always found it hilarious how beautiful this house was yet the basement was a prison that resembled her parents.

Zoya crossed the long hallway and as she did, the servants all ignored her. They kept their eyes averted and their minds on their tasks. No one intervened in madam Knightley's affairs and Zoya was part of that bargain, otherwise their life would become worse than hell itself. That threat alone was enough to shut everyone up and mind their tongue.

Zoya reached her room as fast as she could without being seen by her parents. She closed the door but couldn't lock it because her father got rid of it. All the doors didn't have locks on them except his study, which was the place he kept himself all the time. She rarely saw her father, which was good. Zoya preferred to face her mother over her father.

Zoya limped to the bathroom and saw her reflection. She was thin and pale after spending the night in that basement. In the sheer white gown, that was barely covering her, she could see the black and blue marks festering around her rib cage and torso. All the marks were put in places Zoya could hide, her mother loved to do that. She enjoyed watching Zoya in pain while others smiled at how perfect Zoya looked all the time.