Ch.27: Friend Is A Foe.

Start from the beginning

"Ariana is my niece. I can have Gibson Black arrested. I will go with you," Mr. Williams argued as he moved to stand next to me.

Jacob turned to him, but this time it was Samuel who spoke. "Listen, I understand that you are all concerned about Ms. Holmes. We all are. But if you came with us, you would be jeopardizing her life. My brother and I specialize in this. So, please let us do our job. I hope you understand this."

His words made my temper still. Maybe he was right? Perhaps it's dangerous if we go? It might really risk Ariana's life, and I would do anything not to let that happen. But I want to see her. I want to make sure that she's okay.

"Jacob," I called out as Jacob and Samuel turned around and were about to leave. He turned to meet me with a straight face, but I could see the hint of questioning in his eyes. I inhaled a breath and said, "Protect her."

Ariana

"Lena?" My lips finally managed to say something, my voice breaking through the silent room after what felt like hours. Lena. The quiet girl who's always alone is Gibson Black's comrade? No, she wasn't just his comrade; she was also his daughter.

She wasn't saying anything. She just kept silent as her eyes looked down at me with bitterness and hatred. I felt my warm tears slide down my cold cheeks, letting a sob escape my lips while my eyes never left her.

I know she and I weren't that close. But I've always tried to be her friend because I didn't want her to be alone like she always was. I wanted to be close to her, and I wanted her to be happy with us. I even went to rescue her when she was in the burning greenhouse.

Was she really in danger? Or was that all just an act?

I feel stupid for trying to be her friend. I'm ashamed of myself for trusting her.

She never wanted to be our friend. She was just spying for her father. And what about Jeremy? If he knew about this, he would be heartbroken.

"Why?" How could she lie to our faces like that? And why would she do such a thing? Did her father force her to, or did she want the world her father was talking about?

She walked forward, keeping her face straight as she placed her hands on the chair's arms. Her eyes were cold and emotionless, pouring down at mine.

"Because a world filled with ordinary people is a false world. People like us have control. You're so naïve. Did you actually think that I was your friend?" A sick smile played on her lips as she spoke those last words.

She stood up straight and walked back to stand next to her father. I just stared at the ground, remembering the words I said to her back at the hospital.

'Because we're friends, and that's what friends do.'

I honestly felt like slapping myself for saying these stupid words to her. How could I be this stupid? What kind of a detective am I? I never thought that she would be someone suspicious. I mean, she was in that fire that Carl caused. I know that I was the actual target, but what if I never went to the greenhouse? She would have died.

Why would she risk her life for me to be killed?

"It was easy to know your weakness. When you got shot twice to protect Max from the hunter in the woods, I knew you would die for your friends. That is quite stupid, but you were always a reckless blockhead," she said.

So, that's how they knew.

I wonder if Jacob and Samuel know about Lena being Gibson's daughter. I didn't think they did. Otherwise, they would have informed me.