Drunken Dreams of Past

Lan Wangji wasn't happy with all those stares, the countless praises, the shameless displays, and the grueling expressions of his competitors. He stood in the middle of the stage, in his arms, was a huge gold trophy rests a bouquet of roses and a certificate that he indeed won the competition.

But...

He was not happy.

He never is.

He refused the countless questions and requests for a photo.

He went back to the room and took his belongings to go home.

He wore a long white jacket with a shade of light blue, furry earmuffs, and a bonnet. Under the earmuffs, he put on his earphones and listened to the online radio he usually hears every eight in the evening.

'A pleasant evening to my dear listeners... This is Ren, and here to give a message to all of you...'

He sat down on a bench, facing the beach. The night was cold, his breath let out a noticeable fog but he felt nothing but warmth as he listens to the song.

'Hmm... We have another request from the same sender, Light. This person likes sending me this heavy topic... However, a man will not turn back from anything! I would be a coward if I do so right?'

Lan Wangji stared at the sky, snow was now falling freely.

'They say time heals all wounds, but that presumes the source of the grief is finite. Your feelings of love are strong for a person. And I knew you feel so lost that after so long you are still hurting..'

Lost? Lan Wangji never thought he could go on. He felt like breaking apart. After his mother died, there was nothing in the world that could soothe his heart.

He had to bear all the responsibility at a young age, and follow every whim of his family.

He was not given a choice.

'But it doesn't mean you don't deserve happiness...'

Lan Wangji then stares again at the void, feeling the impending danger of hoping once again.

'You don't have to rush... Wait... And someone will come into your life and mend your heart... Someone who you will cherish and love... A person that will care for you and your happiness. You may be lonely right now, but the time will come, and your happiness will appear like a comet and disturb your life... Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals them. And I know you will survive this. Hold on.'

For eight years, he had been living a monotonous life. For eight years, this radio station had become somewhat his salvation, his way of comfort.

'For you, who loved this station, I will present you a song, so don't feel sad anymore...'

He listened to the song being sung.

Oh, how wonderful the man's voice is.

For eight years, he had been in love with this voice.

He was nine when he first listened to this voice, still a child's voice before. But until now, he still listened to him, nothing more nothing less. He just wants to listen to his voice.

He closed his eyes when the segment ended. Standing and letting out a small sigh, he stared at his phone and wrote a message to the radio anchor.

'thank you.' simple and light.

Yes, he was Light. The name he used whenever he listens to the segment. Once every few days, he would write his problems to the station and listen to the voice over the radio answers him.