7

RILEY SARAI HARRIS MANHATTAN, NYCMAY 4TH 2021

RILEY SARAI HARRIS
MANHATTAN, NYC
MAY 4TH 2021

"Ion know sum bout this shit don't feel real" the girl stood in the bathroom mirror whilst finalising her lip combo.

"Ry are you ready" Mira spoke lowly.

"Almost" I peeked my head out the bathroom door frame and looked at Mira who was sat on the hotel bed you could tell Nana's death has really taken a toll on her.

"Hurry service starts in 30 minutes"

"Aight" I straightened the final strand of my hair before using my hands to flatten everything down then putting on my black funeral hat.

"You look beautiful" Mira looked at me as I walked out the bathroom and stood right infront of her.

"No that's all you Mira" I smiled at her and put my hand out for her to grab it she intertwined her fingers with mine we held onto each-other tightly then walked out the hotel room in sync.

This is my first time in the Nyc since I left 5 years ago, I know I was supposed to visit but I got really caught up in my new life and since I lost contact with everyone I just thought there would be no point to come back, the only reason I'm back is for my Nana's funeral.

The drive to the service was completely silent no one dared to speak, but the actual drive itself wasn't long seeing the views made me feel nostalgic, I looked out the window and just reminisced on all the memories I made in these streets.

I watched my dad touch his beard for the 100th time I grew slightly frustrated just from watching him fidget, once the the driver got in front of the church I wasted no time getting out.

"Y'all wait up" my dad spoke whilst getting out the front seat I looked back at him shaking my head and continued walking towards the church entrance.

"Stay close to me Ry" I felt Mira scoop my hand into hers before we entered the church, seeing all these people made me feel slightly anxious.

I felt at ease seeing my family members and cousins sat in the front rows of church, Riley led us to the front row Before I sat down I picked up the booklet that had a few pictures of my nana, I had mixed emotions seeing the pictures of us together.