Chapter Forty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"Well looks like I've got my work cut out for me."

First she washed and dried every dirty dish that was abandoned in that sink, pumping up a good amount of water and then using a knife to scrape flecks of soap into the liquid. For some dishes, she had to scrub extra hard because the stains had hardened. It hurt her fingers a little, but certainly not to where it was unbearable. This act was then followed by her using a rag to dry them off and arranged them in cupboard with perfect order and neatness.

"Good morning." She was just putting away the last dish when Alastor finally awoke.

"Good morning." She replied in a most chipper tone. "I hope you slept well."

Alastor took note of the empty sink and the cupboard full of cleaned, dried, and properly organized dishes.

"Impressive." He commented. "Shall I reward your advanced dish work with a hot breakfast?"

"Thank you but I can cook."

"So can I and you're the guest so by the laws of common curtesy, I must be the one to prepare a meal for you." He insisted. "Besides, you haven't lived until you've tasted my cooking."

He then produced a basket of eggs and some bacon from a rather small looking cabinet. When the door opened, Charlotte could feel cold coming from within.

"What is that?" Charlotte said.

"Oh that's just a little device Moxxie invented to preserve our food longer. He calls it an ice box."

"How does it work?"

"Well in the winter time, we gather as much ice as we can get our hands on and then carry it back here, placing it inside this specially designed cabinet that conceals cool air inside."

"Incredible." Charlotte said taking the time to really study the device's structure.

"Yes, Moxxie is quite the inventor. When he's not trying to make his elixirs, he's coming up with new machines to make housework easier. Last week he came up with a way to make washing clothes easier."

"Really?"

"Yes indeedy. I'll show you when the time comes to do the laundry."

Alastor reached for the large black pan hanging on the closet wall, next he plonked the bacon into the pan, popped a handy wooden spoon into the egg basket, and marched with the lot to the fireplace. First he fumbled with the firewood and then used special stones to get a spark going. Soon a nice fire was created and he set to work cooking. He carefully held the pan over the fire and slapped slices of bacon into it.

As the bacon sizzled, be began cracking the eggs one-handed and tossing the shells among the logs. He flipped the bacon and eggs with perfect ease while taking the time to add salt, pepper, and some herbs that were planted by the kitchen window. The smell made Charlotte's mouth water and she became terribly eager for the cooking to be done so she could see if they tasted as good as they smelled.

"There's a kettle in the third cabinet if you would like some tea." Alastor told her.

"Alright, where are the tea leaves and sugar?" Charlotte asked.

"In those canisters." He pointed over to the two that stood on the other side of the counter.

Charlotte grabbed the kettle from the cabinet. First she washed the kettle then she filled it with water and dropped some tea leaves into the liquid. She carefully hung the kettle over the hearth and patiently waited for the tea to brew. Soon both food and drink were ready to be served, though Alastor was not particularly fond of tea. He just had water with his meal.

"Alastor these eggs are amazing." Charlotte said. "I especially love the herbs you added."

"Thank you my dear."

"I never knew that you could cook like this. Who taught you?"

"I'm not sure. I seemed to have a natural gift for it. First time I tried cooking for the alps, I did a splendid job. And I didn't even have one lesson."

"Impressive. Speaking of cooking, I was thinking that after we clean house, I could cook a special dinner tonight for your family. To show my appreciation for them letting me stay here."

"I'm sure they'd be most pleased by the gesture, although I don't think it'll happen tonight. We don't have much to work with in terms of dinner."

"Well that's not a problem. After I e clean up, I'll just go shopping for ingredients."

"I'm not sure if it's a good idea for you to leave the house at this time. We don't know if that assassin is still out there looking for you."

"I seriously doubt someone like that wolf alp will try to kill me in a village full of witnesses. Dolores always said creatures like him were too discreet  to try something that impulsive."

"True but what about on your way to the village? You'll be all alone in the forest. Very few witnesses, and we live in a part of the woods where other human beings are at a very good distance. It would be the perfect place for a murder to be committed and covered up."

"Good point." She said thinking. "I know! You can come with me."

"Me? Go to the village?" He almost squeaked it out. "I...I don't know if that's the best idea."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well far be it from me to critique your intelligence but you seem to have let a certain detail about me slip your mind." He pointed to his face. "I don't exactly blend in with society."

"Oh...Right."

Charlotte had known Alastor for so many years that sometimes she'd forget that he was very strange looking. That his appearance was something considered not normal and in other cases, feared and revolted. 

"Well I'm sure we can find something for dinner in the forest right? You could catch the meat and I'll forge for herbs, nuts, and maybe even some fruit."

"I think that will workout just fine." He said. "Now don't let your food get cold, eat up. You'll need your strength if you're going to clean this house and then collect ingredients from scratch."

Charlie made a soft giggle and did as he said.