Chapter 30: Family Dinner

Hanji's POV

When Levi arrived, the embarrassment came. We were sitting down, plopping food on our plates until Dad started interrogating Levi. I knew this was going to happen. I also warned Levi about it, and he didn't react. I guess it was to be expected...

"So, Levi, do you live with your parents?"

"No, a friend of mine. We're renting an apartment together." Levi replies, surprisingly scooping a lot of peas onto his plate.

"Do you see your parents often?"

The entire time I've been with Levi, we never talked about his family. I always assumed that they were out of the picture and wouldn't care if he was dating anyone. Now, I'll be able to see the truth. 

"I never knew my dad. I don't know who he is or where he is. Honestly, I don't care anymore. He's never coming to me for over 20 years."

"20? You're 20?" Issac raised his eyebrow, "Hanji, what are you doing with a guy like him?"

"He's not that old, Issac," I growled, "He's just two years older than me. What's the harm with that? Besides, he's not a creep. He's a good guy. And Dad, enough with the interrogation questions."

Dad shook his head, "Hanji, I'm curious about the man you're dating. Is that wrong?"

"These questions are wrong."

Levi calls my name softly, smiling as he says it. "Don't worry," he assures me, "I'm fine with it. As long as I can continue seeing you, I'll go through anything." Levi turns back to my dad, "My mom has been dead for a while. Since I was a kid. My uncle took me in for a bit, but I grew up without him. Is that all?"

"And you don't have any records? Even minor ones?"

That's when Levi looked at me with a heavy sigh, "Weren't those things sealed or something like that?"

"I unsealed that, Levi. You see, Issac here is a close friend of mine that works closely with the police. Searching your name, it seems you did have a record of stealing. Sure, sealed and practically glossed over." Dad looked at me, "And it wasn't stealing small things. Expensive things. He's a thief."

"Levi...?" I turned to him, confused. Sure, Levi may look like a thief and scary, but for him to hide something serious as that from me? Levi...

"When I was growing up with my uncle, it wasn't easy. So yes, I stole things. Things that I can sell to get food and help some friends. Things happened. I changed. I've never stolen anything else that valuable. Well, perhaps an exception of Hanji's heart. Though, I could say the same about her. Because every day, I can never find myself not thinking of Hanji."

"Don't be smart like that, Levi," Dad says. "What can convince me to allow you to keep seeing my daughter?"

"Dad, stop it."

"Hanji, according to his record, has stolen things when he was a minor. He's a thief. Most rule-breakers will continue to break the rules and laws. If he has roped you in anything, I'll blame him. If anything happens, the blame, once again, falls on him."

"He's an honest man, Dad. Sure, if he stole things when he was younger, there's a reason. He didn't do it because he wanted to. He needed to because he needed to survive. There could have been other ways, but when one becomes desperate... sometimes breaking the rule seems necessary. Dad, I love Levi. No matter what, I can't stop loving him."

"So, you knew this?"

"No, but Levi never liked talking about his childhood. Always avoided it. Usually, when you have a good childhood, you at least talk about something you liked. Levi never did. Not once. To me, that tells me that he's done some things or has been through things that no one else should go through. Everyone is entitled to secrets. That secret doesn't hurt anyone. It's in the past. He's no longer committing crimes. That matters to me, Dad." I turned to Levi, smiling, "And that's why I love him more than anything."