Chapter 4: Awkwardness

Levi's POV

Erwin wanted me to clean up the arts and craft cabin after a bunch of campers left it messy. It's frustrating, but at least the cabin is air-conditioned and it's just me cleaning it up. It's some peace, at least. It's away from all the yapping children and complaining about not being able to call their mommies and daddies.

As I was sweeping the floor, I see that same camper walking in. She looks around curious before sighing, "I think I'm lost..."

"What are you looking for?" I grumbled, hoping to get this girl out of my sight as quickly as possible.

"Abigail told me to find the arts and crafts place and help. Something like that."

"This is the arts and craft cabin," I grumble, wanting to leave it to her to clean everything up. But I know that I would get in trouble if I let her do it myself. "If you're here to help, go to the tables and separate them back in their proper boxes."

She rolled her eyes, nodding her head. "Fine, fine." She sat at the messy desk, picking things up. I looked up to see her smiling at a few random things that the children made. "Huh."

"What's huh?"

"Just the creativity of these kids. Who knows of an octopus that is also a pirate?" She holds up a picture of a messy drawing of an octopus with an eyepatch and 3 pirate swords. "It's cute. I wouldn't want to throw any of these pictures away. But I'm sure that one day, sooner or later, it will be in the trash. That's the sad reality of it." She starts making a stack of drawings, dropping pieces of trash on the ground.

"Would you stop dropping it?!" I shouted, regretting saying it in that tone. I growled, walking over to her and sweeping it up. "I just swept there."

"It's not that big a deal, we can sweep it up again later."

"Not when I just cleaned that area. There's a system here."

She looks around with a puzzled face. She looks back at me after adjusting her glasses, "What system? If there was a system, you would've had the table cleared off first, letting the trash pile on the ground so you can sweep it up later. You're just sweeping first and leaving the trash on the table when it'll be easier to sweep it up."

Then, she did the most annoying thing: she dumped more trash on the ground. "Stop it."

"I don't know if you're some sort of clean freak or anything like that, but we're doing this my way. I don't care if you're the counselor, you're not my counselor."

"I can still report you."

"For what? Cleaning the place? I'll like to see what you'll do with that, Levi."

I'm stuck with her for the next hour...

*   *   *

An hour later, the cabin was spotless and the art supplies were refilled for tomorrow's arts and craft day. I remembered that her name was Hanji, and she didn't do too bad. As I was putting the broom away, she walked up to me with a strange question. 

"Do you have OCD?"

"What makes you say that?"

"You say you have a system and you get angry when someone ignores your system. And, you cleaned spots where most people would never clean. It makes me question a lot- that's all. If not, I'm sorry for assuming you have OCD."

"I don't know, my friends tell me I do, but I don't know."

"Well, I would think you do." She says, "'You should get that checked out when you go back home after the summer."

"Why do you care?"

She looked down at me, "Well, that's what I want to study after I graduate high school. I want to study human behavior and see what I can do to help it. Either to cure it or to help make it better for the person." She lets out a small chuckle, which is strange because I've never heard her chuckle before. "Maybe sign up to be a test subject and I could test things on you."

"I'm not a guinea pig."

"True, you're not. It's just something I thought was funny. Hopefully, your condition will get better. See you around."

Strange girl.