Chapter 7: Last Week

Hanji's POV

Everyone was talking about what the first thing they want to do when they got home. Talking about plans for a huge meal with their family or some new shopping trip. All I have to do is wash my clothes and prepare for the next summer camp. I signed up for my entire summer finding a good summer camp. And this one seemed great. The only downside...

"Hanji," I see Abigail waving me outside, "Come on, breakfast time." I don't know what compelled her to do so, but she walked over to me in a soothing voice. "What's wrong, Hanji? Something on your mind?"

"Well, this is my last week here. I should've expected it for a few days, but now that it's so close, I don't want to leave just yet. And just hearing all the girls speaking about other things... feels weird. Is that normal, Abigail?"

"After having a fun time at camp, you wouldn't want to leave. I get that. But there's always next year to come back, Hanji. I know you don't want to leave just yet, but we can make the best of this last week of yours. Don't worry, it'll be okay. Just spend this last week as best as you can before you run out of time. Be a bit reckless every once in a while, Hanji."

I nod my head, "Okay." Then, that counselor popped into my mind. "But I don't think someone would appreciate my recklessness. He would report me without a second thought."

"Who?"

"That pissy counselor-in-training guy. Levi. I've been butting heads with him so much, that I don't think he's 18 years old. I think he's some old guy disguised as a young adult. Just wanted to shout at the kids because he has no control over me."

"He is new at this job, so don't blame him. And, let me tell you this secret, Hanji," Abigail leans close to my ear, whispering gently. "If you befriend a counselor well enough, you could get something extra."

"Extra?"

"Like an extra piece of dessert or first dibs on a trail ride. Something like that. And they can do the opposite. If you keep butting heads with him, the opposite could happen. Don't try to fight with him. Try to befriend him. We're not here to make enemies; we're here to make friends, Hanji. Don't ever forget that."

Befriend him...

*   *   *

"Be a bit reckless," I remember Abigail saying to me. It was against the rules, but I wanted to be alone for a bit. The best place I could think of to be alone was that view from the horse trail. After lunch and packing a few snacks, I hiked up to that view, feeling this sense of adventure.

I didn't want to be plagued by stress, so the hike helped clear my mind. And that view... that view told me to not worry. I wouldn't mind working here for the summer after I turn 18 if it means I get to see this view almost every day for every summer. A beautiful place... a beautiful view.

"My last week here..." I say solemnly, feeling the need to cry my eyes out. "Don't let me waste my summer away..."