Chapter 19: Mistakes

Hanji's POV

Finally, we were able to go to that view the next day. Levi got special permission, and I feel like he didn't like it. I didn't ask why because he was so flustered. Even his cheeks were red when he came up to me to tell me that he got permission for us to go. I can't imagine what he went through to get that red.

But either way, we planned to have lunch at that view side with our books. On a hike, we went. We were silent the entire way up there with the occasional, "Are you okay? Need a break?" Levi scolded me for munching on a few snacks on the way up. But finally, we made it to the view. 

I collapsed from exhaustion, panting heavily as Levi gently puts his backpack on the ground. "How... how are you... not tired?"

"I'm in shape."

"Are you calling me out of shape?"

Levi sighed, unzipping his bag to pull out a tarp. "Sit on this, Hanji. Are you hungry? Thirsty? There are some juice boxes here. Apple juice."

I smiled, nodding my head. "Well, after that hike, I think I just need water. Gimme."

Levi tossed me a bottle of water as I dragged myself onto the tarp, staring down into the beautiful view. Gulping the cool water, my head fell onto Levi's shoulder as my eyelids grew heavy. "What are you doing?"

"Let me sleep, Levi..."

"Then go to the shaded area, not in the sun. When was the last time you used sunscreen?"

"Before we left," I say, dragging my body under the cool shade, curling up as I slowly drifted to sleep. "Wake me up when it's time to eat..."

"That's in an hour or so."

"Let me sleep until then..."

*   *   *

Levi kept his promise, waking me for some ham and cheese sandwiches and apple juice. Despite talking on the phone during the school season, we talked about things we didn't discuss over the phone. As we were talking, something inside me compelled me to kiss his cheeks... and I did. The second I pulled away, I wanted to tease him.

"Hanji... what was that for...?"

"I hate you..." I smiled, scooting myself next to him.

"Why do you hate me?"

"I can't bully you because you're acting clueless..." I sigh, wanting to reach out to his hand, but restrained myself. "Levi, what do you think of me? Just be honest."

The way he looked away from me was cute as he gave me his answer. "I... I like you. I think I've been fighting that feeling this entire time. But someone like you... I feel like my heart would be broken if I ever confessed it. I'm ready to be rejected, Hanji."

"Why do you think I'll reject you?"

"Because I don't think a guy like me could ever have a girlfriend like you."

"How would you feel if I said that I like you too?" Levi turns his head towards me with his silver eyes wide with surprise. I chuckle, kissing Levi's cheek again, and this time, I wasn't afraid. "This is my last summer here at this camp... help me make it memorable."

"I... was going to say this would be my last year of being a counselor here... but while you're in college, we can work here every summer. And listen, you're still 17. Just wait a bit, okay?"

"Our ages are close enough, Levi, it's fine. You're what? 19? It's fine, Levi."

"Is it?"

"Levi, keep acting like that, and we can end our friendship right here. We already confessed our feelings. Do you want to throw it all away?"

Levi sighed, shaking his head. I shouldn't have threatened him in that way, but I was tired of waiting. I wanted to be with him this entire time..."