Chapter 16: Camp Counselors

Levi's POV

Ever since we moved in together, Erwin would not stop his constant barrage of questions. Asking me if I kept in touch with Hanji. If I answered any of his questions, it would lead to more. I didn't want a guy like him prying into my business like that. But when I called Hanji's number, I can't help but feel that Erwin is staring me down.

Right before I called her, Erwin knocked on my door. "Levi, I got a question for you. It needs to be answered now before all the spots get filled in."

"What?"

He began to turn the doorknob, not getting anywhere because I locked it. "Can I come in?"

"Is the door unlocked?"

"Listen, I have my laptop in my hands. Let me in. Or are you hiding something or someone in your room? Is it her-."

I growled, getting up from my computer and unlocking my door, swinging it open. "I'm not hiding anything. And shut up about her." Erwin chuckles, sitting on my bed with his laptop. "What do you want to talk about?"

"It's a sign-up sheet for next year's camp counselors. I was hoping to bring you along again."

"No."

"Why not?"

"I wasted 3 months at that camp, Erwin. I'm not wasting 3 more."

"If it wasn't for that camp, you wouldn't have gotten the job at the bookstore, right? I mean, sure, different experience, but you did something over the summer. I hate to sound like some teacher-."

"You're already acting like one, idiot."

Erwin smirked, continuing as if nothing happened. He's always like this and it always gets on my nerves. "But it's helping. And look, you gained a friend from that camp. You talk to her almost every night like she's your girlfriend. And look, she said she would be looking forward to coming back next year for camp."

"And how do you know that?"

"I asked her before she left. It was one of those review things to see if we did well. And she said she would come back."

Is that true? He could be baiting me to come by using Hanji as a lure. But if it's true... I should see her again. I sigh, reluctantly letting those words slip out of my mouth. "Sign me up..." I regretted saying them when I saw the joy in his eyes. "Can you please leave me alone? You already got what you wanted, now leave."

"Will do, Levi," As Erwin was leaving my room, he had to leave me with one comment: "Have fun talking to your girlfriend."

"She's not my girlfriend!" I shout after him, locking it quickly. Almost in time, my phone began to ring with Hanji's name. Picking it up, I answer her, "Hey, Hanji..."

"Hey! Is everything okay?"

"Of course, everything's okay. Why do you say that?"

She laughs softly, "Nothing. Just wondering, Levi."

For some reason, I asked her that one question. It slipped out of my mouth for some reason. But her reply afterward was stunning to hear. I felt like I would die after asking that question... to die in a hole and never wake up back to reality.

"Are you going to camp next year?"

"I was planning to. Why? Are you going to be a camp counselor again?"

"I... I am..."

"That's amazing! I can't wait to meet you next summer. I need a bit of help preparing for the senior year next year, so give me more pointers, Levi."

"I thought you were a senior this year."

"No, I'm in senior classes surrounded by other seniors. That's why I asked for advice for surviving my senior year. And next year, I'll do some college classes while still attending high school. Interesting, huh?"

"Don't burn yourself out. Most people are burned out when they get to senior year, Hanji."

"That's why I have you." There was an awkward silence as she was stammering. "I-I mean... to help me with the school. You're one of the only ones that could understand high school at this age." Her awkward laughter was still something I liked to hear. Maybe it's just her laugh in general.

I guess I'm going back to that camp with those damn kids again...