Chapter 9: Last Day Here...

Levi's POV

"Come on, just jump into the lake for this one day, Levi," Erwin's words echo in my head as I start shivering from the cold from just wearing my swim trunks. Even if I had my warm towel and jacket, I was still cold from wearing nothing else. Even thinking about jumping into the icy cold lake terrified me. 

To make things worse, I saw her pulling off her clothes to reveal her swimsuit. I looked away, feeling a bit of warmth on my cheeks. The urge to turn back to her was there, but I shut my eyes tightly, shaking my head.

"I think Levi's a big chicken!"

I turn to one of the campers that I'm in charge of. They pointed at me and started making chicken noises.

"I'm not a chicken," I scowled, wanting to toss them into the water without them jumping in first.

"Yes, you are! You're afraid of jumping in and getting dirty!" Charlie points at me, laughing. "A big 'fraidy cat!"

"I am not."

"He's shaking! He is!"

"I'm not afraid," I growled, but I know it was a lie. The cold was one thing, but the lake was filled with things I don't even want to know. I want to hide behind that wall of excuses, but I know that I should jump in rather than have someone else throw me in. And the embarrassment that comes with that..."

"Then jump in!"

The two kids began to chant to me to jump in. More of the other campers began to join in with the chant. For the first time, it was when Erwin had his face turning pale. Hanji had to come over, soothing the campers' chants.

"Guys, come on, leave him alone. If you didn't want to do something, would you be a chicken too? If someone told you to eat something you hate the most, would you like to be called a chicken if you don't eat it?"

The campers went silent when Hanji said those words. She's not a counselor, yet she's speaking like one. 

"No, right? If he doesn't want to do it, then don't do that. Those are acts of bullies. Even if Levi is an adult, that's no excuse to bully him. Do you understand that?"

The campers scattered somewhere else because they didn't like being scolded like that. Thankfully, those campers would be gone tomorrow. Hanji walks up to me, giving me a small chuckle. 

"They seemed like the worse, huh?"

"They are." I sigh, muttering a few words to her. "Thank you."

"What was that?" Hanji puts her hand to her ear, smirking, "I didn't catch that, Levi."

I know that she heard me completely. That smirk of hers gave it away. "Don't make me repeat it, Hanji. I'm not saying it again."

"Aww, why not?"

"Because you heard what I said already. I think I know your tricks, Hanji. Even if I don't know you too well, I think I know your tricks well enough." I scowled at her as she walked toward the edge of the dock. "Don't fall in."

"That sounded like you cared, Levi."

"It's freezing and could be life-threatening. Do you think I'll be nonchalant with it?"

She laughs a bit, continuing to walk toward the end of the dock. "It'll be fine, Levi. Live a little. Just one jump, and that's it. If that's alright with you, of course."

Every ounce of my body screamed at me to not listen to her. But my mind had a different idea. It decided to follow her. Follow her to the end of the dock and follow her to the bitter end. To jump into the cold waters and be surrounded by the unknown for this one day. After today, I will no longer see her being reckless.

I jumped with her, regretting it once I touched the waters. I forgot to say I can't swim.

Reaching the surface, I flailed my arms around, panicking and trying to reach the dock. My legs began to kick rapidly as I try my best to not swallow the water. From the corner of my eye, I see Hanji popping her head out of the water, laughing and squealing with joy. She didn't realize my struggle until she turned to me.

"Levi?! Are you okay?"

"Can't... swim..." I murmured as she grabbed my waist and pulled me to the side.

"Just keep your head above water and keep kicking. I'll take you back to shore." She dragged me back, scolding me in a hushed tone. "Why didn't you say anything?!" She hissed. 

"Forgot, okay?" I sigh, shakily getting to my feet and grabbing my towel. I had enough for one morning. "I'm heading back. See you at breakfast," I say to Hanji, shivering the entire way back to the showers.

I sat in the shower, bathing in the warm water. I scrubbed more than once, hoping I got through every inch of my body. I didn't thank her for saving me. Clutching my fist tightly, I sigh and thought I'll give her a gift as a thank you. An early breakfast dessert should be fine.