Chapter 12: Yearning for Him

Hanji's POV

Exhausted when I came home, I checked my phone to see if he had ever messaged me. There was nothing. "Did I push you too far, Levi?" I asked myself, shaking my head as I tossed it on my bed. "I'm insane to think this would work."

"Hanji, dinner." Mom calls my name.

"Coming, Mom!" I call back to her, sighing as I stared at my phone. A part of me- no, I'm hurt that he didn't call or text me. I regret what I did to him. My cabinmates have no intention of keeping in touch with me, and I had no other friends from that camp.  I'm sorry, Levi... I'll make it up...

*   *   *

Laying in bed with my laptop, I heard my phone begins to buzz. My eyes were heavy from exhaustion, but I still had enough energy to stay up a little longer. Curious about the buzz, I picked it up and saw an unknown number. The first thing that went through my head was that it was a scam call. 

"Lancaster Police Department," I say with a smirk on my face.

"Wrong number, I guess." Levi's voice comes through. "Sorry-."

"Ah! Sorry, Levi, it's me, Hanji!" Covering my mouth immediately once I realized my voice was so loud. "I-I didn't recognize it was you, and I assumed it was a scam call. I'm sorry, Levi! I should've known that your number wouldn't be recognized on my phone. I'm sorry."

He made some sort of sighing noise on the phone. "Okay then. Why did you give me your phone number?"

"You have to be so straightforward like that, Levi?" I chuckle, snuggling myself into my cocoon of blankets. "Well, I just... want someone to talk to. I haven't made many friends at the camp. Besides, it seems like you were the only other one that I got along with."

"Says the one who had a thing to annoy me every single day."

"I know... and I apologize, Levi."

"Putting that aside, I thought you made friends with the girls at your cabin."

"I did, but we didn't have much in common. Sure, we got along, but eventually, we would forget about each other within hours. We exchanged numbers, and they never picked up on my end. Things just end up like that, you know?"

"I guess so. Sorry for waking you up."

"What makes you think you woke me up?"

"It's 10 pm and lights out was an hour ago."

"So... you couldn't sleep and called me?"

"You've been a piercing thorn in my side."

Am I a thorn to him?! Just a thorn?!

"Ah... right, I forgot..." I chuckle softly, laying my head against the pillow. "But it's okay. I'm not sleeping yet. But you couldn't sleep because I was a thorn in your side? I'm... I'm sorry for being such a nuisance to you."

"Just don't continue being that to me, Hanji."

"I promise, I won't." I chuckle, "Well... I guess that settles it. I should leave you alone to sleep, right?"

Levi stayed silent for a bit which made me question a few things. When I was around him during camp, it did seem like he had bags under his eyes. Perhaps he had trouble sleeping. I guess being a student does that to you. But he just turned 18. I think he's going to go to college by the end of the summer, right? Oh... 

"I guess so," Levi finally replies. "Goodnight, Hanji."

"Wait." That word spouted out of my mouth without warning. "Ah... I-I mean... I would want to talk to you again. Probably not at night though. When would be a good time to chat and talk?"

"I... well, I'm busy here." I'm such an idiot... of course, he'll be busy. There's no time for him to rest except at night.

"T-Then we can schedule when we can talk? Ah... next week, I have another summer camp I have to attend."

"Which one is that?"

"A science one." I wanted to speak my entire mind about the camp, but I held myself back. I didn't want to rant to him about it. Especially since it's not the camp that he's currently in. That and I want him to try to get some rest. "Maybe we can talk about it tomorrow."

"Tomorrow's going to be busy since new campers are coming in. But sure, we can talk tomorrow night."

"When it's lights out?"

"That's fine."

I smiled, nodding my head, "Well, I can't wait for tomorrow." I hung up and I took my glasses off. As I try to drift to sleep, my heart couldn't stop pounding. It wasn't anything special. We're just talking on the phone. But something about him made my heart yearn and beat for him. 

"Why couldn't I have been nicer to you earlier...?" I say, clutching my sheets tightly. "Because I want to do nothing but talk to you..."