Chapter 2: Apologies

Hanji's POV

Abigail had to come with us to the cabins for a simple change of clothes because my period started at a terrible time. On the way back to the campfire, Abigail had to give me a small lecture about the new counselor-in-training. She said that I was too harsh on the guy, but I told her that I didn't think that he was a counselor. Something about not looking the age.

"Well, he did turn 18 years old in December, and just graduated from high school a few weeks ago. He would look like someone still in high school."

"And a creep..." I murmur under my breath.

"He's doing his best, so don't worry too much about him. He's still learning, Hanji. Don't worry, but you do need to apologize to him, Hanji. It was still a bit harsh. Usually, we would take points off or write them down as a warning, but take this lecture as a warning to the official warning."

I rolled my eyes, sighing softly, "Fine."

*   *   *

When it was time for breakfast, Abigail instructed me on re to find him since they would be doing their own thing with their campers. I wanted to find out this... Levi person. I talked to the blonde counselor that I saw last night, and he said that Levi dislikes being with other people for breakfast. Most likely, since we cannot eat in our cabins, he's sitting outside where it's quiet. The blonde counselor suggests checking by the lake.

Skipping breakfast for this guy... I swear. I walk to the lake, nearly getting lost here and there. But I found him. He's there under a shack by the lake with a tray of food.

I walk up to him, sighing and hoping things will be as I expected from minutes of rehearsing my lines. Taking a deep breath, I approach him and say what I had to say.

"I apologize for the name-calling for both the short and pervert comments."

He turns to me, almost sliding away from me. "Why would you make those comments in the first place?"

"I had an emergency and I wanted to get away and deal with it. I thought you were lying about you being a counselor-in-training."

"I get the pervert one, but the short one? Really?"

"Am I wrong? I heard you are 18, and you're what? 5 foot?"

"5'3, but it's not like I have any control over it. It's like calling you a blind bat or four-eyed freak. Do you have any control over your eyesight? Sure, you can do surgery or wear contact lenses, but still, did you have any control over being blind?"

Bowing my head down, "I'm sorry, okay?"

"That one sounded genuine." He takes a deep breath, "It's fine. Just be careful from now on."

"Why don't you eat in the dining hall? It's better than hanging out with the mosquitoes and being bit every once in a while."

He shrugs his shoulders, "I will rather be bitten than be around children."

"Why are you a counselor if you don't want to be around children?"

"Erwin wanted me here. I let him convince me. There's nothing else to add to that." He glanced at the ground before looking up, "Who are you?"

"I'm the girl that's trying to apologize-."

"I mean your name. What's your name?"

"Could've started with that, you know." I sigh, shaking my head and fixing my high ponytail. "I'm Hanji. 16 years old."

"Are you here for the week or the month program?"

"The month program."

He nods his head, "I guess I'm stuck seeing you around for a month, huh? Can't wait to watch the days tick down."

"Cold-hearted bastard," I whisper before walking back to the dining hall to get some nice breakfast before I run out of time. I know I should've apologized again, but the way he worded it, I didn't like it one bit.