Chapter 26: Birthday Love

Levi's POV

She decided to spend her 18th birthday with her family, and I didn't mind that. The next day, I was able to take her to my apartment to enjoy a bit of time alone and go through some books. She told her parents that she would be staying at a friend's house for a bit. It wasn't a lie, but she never said who she was staying with. I think her family would've killed me if they realized that she was spending her night with her boyfriend.

On the plus side, Erwin is hanging out with a friend and would stay there for the entire weekend. I won't be bothered by him.

We ordered pizza as we watched her favorite horror movies on TV. I don't understand why she wants to watch something scary if she's going to jump at every jumpscare and cling onto me like I'm going to protect her from something inside a screen. I like how she would hold onto me, but it gets annoying when I'm trying to watch and a grown child is gripping onto my shirt.

But after the first horror movie, we made bowls of ice cream and resumed the movies. But before we fell asleep, we agreed to watch a romantic movie... just for the fun of it.

"Do you think we'll end up like that?" Hanji asks softly as she curled herself into me. "A couple that stays for years without problems?"

"I doubt we'll live without problems. We will always run into something that we don't always agree with. We'll always have problems. But... if we want to stay together for a few more years... I'll do my best to ensure that we can stay together for a long time."

"Don't carry all that weight, Levi. I'll also help." Hanji says, closing her eyes, "I'm a bit tired..."

"Go to bed then."

"My legs are too tired to move."

"Jeez, you're lazy."

After I turned the TV off, I carried her to my room and tucked her into bed. I was planning on sleeping on the couch, but I didn't want to waste a moment without Hanji. I crawled into bed with her, holding her close to me like that night at camp.

I couldn't sleep as I held her close. I heard her breathing softly, and that caused my heart to pound. I loved her... I do. 

"Hanji, don't leave me..." I say to her as I closed my eyes again, "I love you..."