Chapter 23: Goodbyes

Levi's POV

I didn't want her to go home. Not now. I wish I had volunteered for one month, but I wasn't sure which month she would be here. She was on a waiting list, so she could have been placed into any of the months and it wouldn't be confirmed until a week before camp started. This month went quickly by the blink of an eye. One moment, I'm dredging on taking care of teens, and the next, I'm missing her.

As she was eating her burger in front of me, all I could do was hold her tightly, looking off to the side. I want this moment to last forever.

"Levi, you need to let me go..." Hanji says, running her fingers through my hair, "Look, my ride's almost here. And I don't want them to see that I have a boyfriend. It'll be our secret."

"What's the point of going back and not being a couple?"

"Just not in front of them, Levi. They want me to focus on my goals and not boyfriends. Crazy, I know. But... just one more year, and I can introduce you to them. Hopefully, they'll approve. And especially since I'll be an adult by the next year."

"Are you sure about that?"

"I'm sure." I let her go as she kisses me on the lips, "I'll call you went I get back home. Can't promise it's as soon as I get there, though. Sometimes I wanna take a shower or sleep."

"That's fine... be safe on your way home." I say to her, kissing her back before she pulls away. "I'll talk to you later." I hated her being taken away by her parents to return home. But tonight, hopefully, I'll talk to her again. Some part of me wishes that I didn't get into a relationship with her during summer camp. When the month is over, I can't see her again until summer's over. "Be safe..."

*   *   *

I couldn't sleep until I heard her voice. She was home... safe and sound. We talked until she fell asleep. She didn't last for 30 minutes on the phone with me. But I was able to sleep without her here. Well, despite the phone call. But I wanted her again, and I begged for time to speed up. I want to hold her again. Is it wrong to say I wish I was by her side forever?