Chapter 15: Someone Familiar

Hanji's POV

It has been a few months since summer was over. 4 months, to be exact. Because school started, we had less time to talk to each other, but we scheduled our calls on Fridays at 9 pm. Always. We finished our scheduled call around midnight when Nanaba sent a message.

"A shopping spree?" I ask sleepily. "Tomorrow?"

"I'll pick you up. I need someone to come with me to pick out something for the winter dance."

"Since when are we going? I thought we said we would go to prom instead."

"Ugh... you're right. Thought of anyone for a prom date?"

"We don't need a date to get there. We can go as friends."

"We'll get eyes laid on us if we just went together. People would think we're dating. I don't want to send the wrong message." Nanaba chuckles, "Although that would be fun. I can't flaunt our 'more than friends' relationship. I do have a crush on that person."

"Yeah? And how's that going?"

"Pretty well. At least I might be going on a date. What about you?"

"Pfft, I don't need a date, Nanaba. Besides, we got next year to hunt for a date. We can go as friends."

Nanaba sighs, "Alright. But yeah, if you want to come with me to the mall, I'll pick you up. We'll have lunch together and stuff like that. How's that? I'll swing by around... 10 am."

"Sounds good with me, Nana."

"Alright. See you at 10. Goodnight, love."

"Night, Nana."

*   *   *

Something caught my eye as I was walking past a bookstore. "Whoa!" I screeched, leaping with joy. "No way! I didn't know that!"

Nanaba raised her eyebrow, "What? What's going on in your quirky head?"

"Lindsae Plinker released a new series! You know, it's the one about mysteries, murders, and people with mental illnesses. I love books like these!" I quickly ran into the store, almost pleased with myself. 

As I picked up the book, I read the back, seeing that it was the new series. My eyes widened with joy as I read the story. Of course, to keep herself from being repetitive, she changes a lot about the world and the different types of protagonists and antagonists.

Nanaba walks up to me, pointing at the book. "All that hype for that?"

"Of course! According to the back, it says that it's about a female forensics analyst and a male agent. Turns out, they were elementary school buddies for a year. When the analyst's life was put on the line, the agent would do anything to keep her safe."

"I thought it's not a romantic story."

"Some of them have romantic storylines, but the core of this story will always be mysterious. I can't wait to read this series."

Nanaba turns to one of the signs, "Evergreen's Rose? What's the title of the series? Seems lame."

"Perhaps. But the title of the series always ties into the antagonist. I always think about how it relates to them with every new series. It always has its twists." I smiled, holding the book to my chest. "I'll be awhile in the nerd shop if you don't want to be here."

"I'll save us a seat in the food court, then. Don't want to rain on your nerd parade."

As I was browsing around the books, from the corner of my eye, I could see someone familiar. Turning my head, I could see him fully. I never thought he lived this close to me. Though I wanted to say hi to him, I didn't want to. I wasn't ready to meet with him again.

He was carrying a box of books, walking down a small row of books. He sets it down before carefully putting the books on the shelves. For someone who hates being around children and anywhere public, I'm surprised Levi's working in a bookstore. Sure, he doesn't deal with many people because most people don't go to bookstores but seeing him here... I felt my heart begin to flutter.

I searched the shelves for some other books, but my eyes kept turning back to him. After a while, Levi gets up with an empty box and walks back to the back of the store. That's when I saw something in his hand: a book. The same one he was putting on the shelf.

Like a ninja, I rushed toward the area where he was putting the books, and my eyes widened at the discovery. The book he was keeping... it was a romantic novel. I don't recognize the author, but I could tell it was romance. I chuckle to myself, shaking my head as I pick up the novel.

"A man like you into romance? There are so many layers to you I have yet to uncover." The decision was made. I would buy this book as well. I want to know more about him because there is more to him than he's telling me.

Surprisingly, I didn't run into him when someone was ringing up my books. I was able to escape my hell of meeting him slimly, but once I left with my bag of books, I felt this heavy stone dropping in my stomach. I should've said something to him, ensuring it was him. But meeting him after my time at camp... I felt like I didn't deserve to meet with him. And this will be my secret until we determine it's okay to meet again.