The Council

"This is Striker," I motioned behind me to the imp standing guard at my right hand, "He will be my personal guard from this point onward."

I was seated at the head of the council table, the sinners appointed as my councilors seated around me. From the moment I walked into the chamber, murmurs and stares were directed toward my new bodyguard and myself. 

"Your Majesty," Lord Teller, a skinny sinner with a grey pallor, piped up, "Do you feel your current security detail is insufficient? If so..."

"It is sufficient enough," I cut him off, "Striker is merely additional security to preserve the life of your queen. Or do you object, my lord?"

I stared him down, watching as Lord Teller shrank back in his seat, ashamed.  After a moment, I continued, "You all will afford Striker the same courtesy as any of my household. Understood?"

A jumbled mass of consent filled the room before another sinner, this time the despised Lord Barnaby, spoke up, "Your Majesty, I would like to direct the council's attention to a most pressing matter."

"What is it, Lord Barnaby?"

The nerve-grating man cleared his throat before continuing, "There is an emissary from the lust ring hoping to gain permission to sell love potions at the court."

I raised an eyebrow. Surely he could not be serious. Sighing, I asked, "And how much money from these sales will wind up in your pocket?"

Barnaby huffed and puffed indignantly. I rolled my eyes, ignoring him as I pressed forward, "What other business is there, gentlemen? Serious matters only, if you please."