Chapter One-Hundred and Twenty

Start bij het begin

The lack of communication from Earth is what bothered me the most. The other two things were just facts I had to live with, the situation on Earth was completely unsure. I'd even debated begging Heimdall for information but I knew that would be pointless. He couldn't interfere with what he saw unless it threatened Asgard. Telling me would be interfering. I thought it was a good loophole but Loki assured me it wasn't one he'd be willing to exploit. Perhaps my nerves were why I ditched everything without a second thought when word reached me that Heimdall called for me despite being in the middle of training and only just about to begin my spar with Sif. When I heard Heimdall's voice in my head requesting my presence, I didn't hesitate to teleport out of the arena. I didn't think about how it could worry Thor or confuse Sif. The only thing on my mind was that he had some form of news. Like always he stood tall and firm, his golden armour shining as he stood on the platform which opened the Bifrost, his large sword the only thing separating me from Earth.

"You've been called back to Midgard, my Lady. I believe you'll find the situation that awaits you rather urgent. Word has been sent to Prince Loki already, and he will arrive soon." The mission was over. Data would have been found, and maybe even Bucky. And given the fact that I was now engaged to Loki, I knew that it may be the last time I was on Earth for a while. I'd weighed all of this up on Friday, but it didn't stop it hurting less.

"You hesitate." Heimdall noted, but it seemed like he was stating a fact that would never change. Almost like he expected that response from me, despite being so desperate to know what happened back on Earth. Perhaps it was the nerves of informing them that I may not be back for a while. Likely it was the fact that Loki was in the East and word wouldn't get to him for a while.

"I... I am leaving. If things are that urgent then I can't wait. I just know he's not going to be very happy about me leaving without him. He already thinks I put myself in danger without thought."

"From what I have seen he is not entirely wrong, Princess." I rolled my eyes at him, not just because of the meaning of his words but also at the name. Right from the beginning people had used that name, knowing that the truth in Loki's actions that drove me insane was known by everyone else but me, and also dangled in front of me.

"Don't you start. You of all people should know I'm not a Princess."

"You may not be a Princess officially, but there are some who view you as one. The majority of the guards may not rally behind you until after the courting ceremony, however I for one consider my protection to extend to you with or without the ceremony." That surprised me. I'd always expected him to strictly follow that law, but I guess there was leeway in everything. I wanted to see how far we could push those loopholes.

"Does that mean you'll protect me, even when I am on Earth, Heimdall?"

There was a long silence followed by a sigh. Surely he would have seen such a request? He did say I fall under his protection, I knew that if there was danger to Thor then provisions were in place to grant him assistance if considered dire enough. Did that only fall to the Crown Prince?

"I cannot interfere in the matters of Midgard, or the other seven realms, Princess. But had you be in danger and ask me for something that does not involve either me leaving my post or endangering Asgard, then it shall be done. I will serve you in the same way I serve the Princes." That I could work with, and I hoped it would soften the blow a little to Loki. He really wouldn't like the idea of me leaving without him, regardless of how safe I was he would convince himself I wouldn't be.

"So if I'm in danger on Earth, and asked you to inform someone, could you do so?" He laughed slightly, clearly seeing what I was asking of him.

"I do not consider fulfilling wishes in this way as interference, as I myself would not change the outcome of Midgardian business. Had you call for me, I will inform the Prince of your situation, not just to Loki but Thor as well. Regardless of where they may find themselves. If they then choose to intervene, well it wouldn't break my oath."