Chapter Fifty-Four

I stayed longer than I needed to, having a heart to heart with Tony before I made my way to my floor. I was feeling far better after the meeting. It felt like they were actively trying to see my side of things. Tony made some vital points, and I had to make it clear that I still didn't fully trust Loki to never betray us. Even with our developing sexual relationship I knew I couldn't trust him outside of that besides professionally. I'd give him my body but never my mind or heart. I would trust him as a sparring partner until he did betray me, but I would always expect him to stab me in the back. What a complicated situation I found myself in. But more than any of that, I still had questions in my mind. Concerns about my ability to move away from Loki in the future if someone ever did capture my heart were fresh in my mind when I paused in the hallway. It was only just past lunch, but I already wanted to curl up in my bed with a book before sleeping. Still, Loki had projected his thoughts on to me clearly demanding I saw him after I was done. So, I politely knocked on his door before entering. He was spread across one of his sofas with the report. He beckoned me over, sitting up slightly more and making room between his legs. I rolled my eyes, but didn't resist. He sighed once I had sat down. He'd noticed my stiffness, having to guide me to lie back into his chest. Throwing the report aside onto the coffee table he let out a sigh before positioning his arms around me. His left leant on the top of the sofa and stroked my hair while the right was brought around my waist and onto my arm.

"Kaya I'm not going to come on to you when you clearly don't want to. So just try to relax. I merely want to talk with you." Knowing he wasn't going to try anything did help, and I managed to get myself comfortable.

"You know this isn't how people tend to talk to each other." I murmured, annoyed by how comfortable I was in his arms. Ignoring the voice in my head muttering warnings, reminding me that this wasn't just trusting him with my body.

"Maybe not, but I guess I enjoy holding you." His lips grazed the top of my head and it felt right. Everything about this felt natural and right. It was just because I was tired, I told myself. That the heart to heart with Tony left me emotionally vulnerable and he just happened to be here. That was all.

"What did you want to know?" We spent a large amount of time talking through the threats I'd received. He seemed concerned about my safety and the threat the people behind the tweets truly held. It eventually created a conversation around freedom of speech and the delicacy of my status in this country. It was tough to explain to someone who came from a planet where they offered refuge freely to any being in the nine realms who did not pose a threat. Even after the conversation was over, I think he still didn't truly understand. Then we talked about the events we would have to go on and what he would have to expect. I smiled at the thought of a role-reversal. Here I was teaching him something he didn't know much about. It was nice to see someone who was seemingly perfect at everything be out of his depth, especially when Loki usually held an air of arrogance around him.

But then the conversation moved on to the third part of the report.

"Are mortals really so stupid that they would believe you in love with the oaf?" I rolled my eyes with a sigh.

"It's harmless for the most part, Loki. Honestly it means nothing." Surprisingly, he dropped it. Although I doubted it would be the last I heard of it. We fell into a comfortable silence together, and I completely focussed on the way his hand grazed up and down my arm. My mind wandered and I couldn't help but think about him moving his hand lower. I internally cursed the mood I was in. I was too drained to have sex right now, and didn't want to fuck. So why was I thinking about him touching me?

"You've tensed again, pet. What's on your mind?"

"Just the report." He stiffened slightly beneath me at my words.