Chapter Eighty-Five

That day quickly became one of my favourites, and I knew during my time with him that I would cherish it forever. It was exactly what I needed to distract myself from everything. We spent time in the shade just in each other's company and later went swimming. Everything about it was perfect. I even managed to finally take some photos. Not that I could ever forget what he looked like, but to have photos to remember how carefree he became in the months he spent here. It was a complete contrast to the man I met. It almost felt like it was a different person who attacked me on that clifftop all those months ago. That night the heating still hadn't been fixed and so I made sure to wait for him to fall asleep before slinking back to my room. But the thing about perfect days is that they often end less than ideally. It started with a dream. Usually nights that made me feel terrible would start with a nightmare. However, nightmares had been few and far between for a long time now. I put that down to the comfort of having Loki near me. The pure safety I felt around him seeped into my dreams. Instead it was the same place I'd seen in my dreams for the past several nights. I'd found it almost refreshing to come back to this vaguely familiar place. It felt like a safe get away here. I found myself looking out across the ocean, mesmerised by the way that the waves curled and crashed across the horizon.

I sank my toes into the warm sand, sighing as I closed my eyes to feel the heat on my face. It was unusually warm today, and I basked in the sunlight as it set over the horizon. I was lost in the moment when arms wrapped themselves around my shoulders and seiðr began to warm me as well as the sun. He pulled me into his chest, using his head to coax mine to the side so his lips had easy access to my neck. His lips left behind a warm trail, across my neck and down to my collarbone. With a sigh, I leant a bit more weight into him. Eventually he rested his chin on my shoulder, wrapping his arms around my waist, and we stayed like that together as the sun settled across the ocean. It darkened as the day ended, strikes of red and orange reflecting from the water.

"You can see the ocean every day from our window, ástin mín. Yet you insist on coming all the way out here, why?" I sighed contently, moving my feet so I could feel the warm sand between my toes again.

"I am unsure. The walk down to the beach is relaxing, the view from down here makes me feel closer, and it's enjoyable. Ultimately, I guess it's because I can, kærr mín. Plus, if I have to stand back while you insist of breaking the furniture anymore..." I laughed softly and smiled as I pictured him back in the house trying to use his seiðr instead of an allen key.

"I'm sorry but those instructions are not clear enough. I don't see why we can't just order pre-built furniture, Stark offered us more than enough money." I laughed softly at his ridiculousness. He was right that the instructions were difficult to understand at first, and we had more than enough money to get pre-built furniture delivered.

"It will be so much more rewarding with a room full of things we built. And if you would just let me–" He practically growled at the suggestion, his hands sliding across my body and placing themselves over my belly as if he were guarding it with them.

"You are not to exert yourself and you know it." I rolled my eyes as I watched the sunset fade across the sea. Red and orange light illuminated us as he continued to hold, his hands steady on my stomach. And I relaxed completely into him, my eyes fluttering close as I felt completely secure.

"You would lock me in that house if you had your way."

"I would strongly advise you to stay in our home until a few months' time." I rolled my eyes but couldn't make myself get angry or frustrated at him.

"I'm pregnant, Loki, not dying." He placed his lips lightly on my cheek before speaking.

"You are carrying my child, forgive me for wanting to make sure you don't overexert yourself." I broke out of his grip and turned to face him, cupping his cheek in my hand, and staring up at him. He looked so calm and peaceful. His black hair waved and curled freely around his neck. Every time I properly looked at him I became so overwhelmed by joy, no matter how bad the day had been. With a smile I lightly pressed my lips on his before saying,