Chapter Sixty-Six

I didn't expect to ever be in this situation. When I was given the mission to go to the charity ball, I honestly thought it would be relatively simple. It had been anything but. From the reporters in front of the hotel to the hospital visit, it was clear that I'd had my fair share of emotional moments already. So, when I found myself transported to a restaurant in the middle of the city, I began to feel like nothing could surprise me anymore. Everything had been planned by him perfectly. The dress fit me like a glove, and it was stunning. A floor length black silk fishtail hung off of my curves perfectly, hugging my hips and upper thighs before softly flowing out slightly. The black silk fabric hung around my chest, with the top tulle layer embellished with golden sequinning which flowed through the dress perfectly imitating the spiral pattern from Loki's daggers. The pattern that seemed to appear everywhere, including on our skin when he used my magic to heal the boy in the hospital. The tulle layer draped up over my right shoulder and down my entire arm, the fabric falling below my hand and to the floor, but separated so that I could use my arm. To accompany the dress were two earrings, a cascade of baguette cut golden spikes interrupted by several pear-shaped emeralds. My hair was swept back into a messy bun, strands of my hair curling around each other perfectly with several strands falling around my neck. Even I had to admit that I looked stunning, if not completely out of place.

The car pulled up to an equally beautiful building. The place itself was actually outside of D.C., an hour drive from the four seasons where we were staying but closer to the charity ball. It stood in an inn surrounded by beautiful countryside. Completely picturesque and stunning. As the car pulled up, Loki stood waiting. He looked entirely stunning. I already knew how he looked in suits, after all he was wearing his full black suit when we had first met. I had no doubt he made that suit for himself, but it still didn't seem to fit him as perfectly as this did. The black waistcoat showed underneath the black jacket. Unlike the full black suit, he wore a white shirt underneath. Then to my utter surprise he donned a golden tie and pocket square, the perfect shade to match the embroidery on my dress. It was the second time I had been surprised today, both times I had expected deep green to be incorporated. Instead, the only green on show was from the emeralds on my earrings. Even Loki's watch was gold. And damn did it make my heart sing. He'd been so protective of his own colour, taking any opportunity to dress me in green. Hell, he had even changed my favourite jumper green. When the car stopped he came to open my door and help me get out. As soon as I stood his cocky smile faltered as he stared at me. For a moment I worried that something had gone wrong, that my hair or makeup had become ruined in the journey. Instead, he took a long look at me before clearing his throat suddenly.

"Odin's beard." He whispered under his breath before continuing louder. "You look absolutely beautiful." I blushed deeply and cast my eyes down slightly.

"Svana did an amazing job on the dress." I muttered, trying to brush off the attention his gaze gave. But he wasn't allowing me to get away with it, bringing his finger under my chin and forcing me to look up at him.

"The dress is nothing without you wearing it. Kaya you look completely stunning. Your beauty is almost unfair for any mortal who will lay eyes on you tonight." I felt my cheeks warm further as I muttered a thanks before he backed away and offered his arm.

"You don't look so bad yourself. I had to say my colour suits you." I teased, batting my hip against his lightly before I took his arm and he led me in. Inside was decorated in a cottagecore theme. We sat in a conservatory, surrounded by beautiful and extravagantly large plants and on a table with an outdoor table vibes. Every table was filled, and part of me wondered how exactly Loki managed to swing this, especially for a weekend. There was no menu, instead several small meals appeared over the course of the evening. We were met with several stares towards the beginning of the evening. It had made me fidget a fair bit until Loki's hand reached across the table to stop me from fraying the fabric of the sleeve. I smiled up at him gently as he squeezed my hand before retreating back over the table. Over time, people stopped staring or whispering around us, and it became easier to ignore those that still did.