~Good Luck~

POV (Y/n)

-8 Months and 13 Days in the Glade-

*Trigger Warning Suicide Mentioned. I will put a note when it's over.*

Gally and I are woken up by a knock at our hut door and I reluctantly stand to get it. When I open the door I see Minho with a sad look across his features "Minho, what's wrong?" I ask him and he looks down to the floor "it's Tony, they just found him right outside the deadheads," Minho starts and I furrow my brows "he's dead," he adds and I shake my head violently. "You're lying!" I tell him pushing past him and Minho attempts to grab me but I shake him off "You don't want to see him (Y/n)," he tries to tell me, but he's too late.

The deadheads aren't far from my hut, and I feel myself running towards the still familiar body in the tree. Newt and Alby are trying to cut him down and when I get there he begins to fall. He doesn't try to brace for impact so I catch him myself. He's heavy and cold and my heart breaks at the realization and I let out a sob I didn't know I was holding. "Tony! Tony, wake up! For fucking sake Tony wake up!" I scream in his face dropping the glader slang not caring. 

Tony doesn't move and I pry the rope around his neck off, and I feel someone try to move me. I shove them off and I'm soon joined by Jacob who throws himself onto Tony. We won't let go of the glader, and Gally and Minho have to pull us away from him. "I fight Gally with little effort as he drags me toward our hut. "How dare you take me away from him!" I shout at Gally as he puts his body in front of the door stopping me from going back out. 

*Mentions of what happened and how exactly he died have ended*

Gally wraps his arms around me not saying anything as I sob into his shirt. "Why'd he do this!" I cry even though there is no answer that Gally can give me that will help at all. We stay in the hut like this for what feels like hours before another knock comes on the door. Gally opens the door and I hear Minho on the other side "he left this for (Y/n)," Minho says and I can hear the crinkle of paper. The door closes back and Gally brings the letter to me and I feel myself trembling after I grip the paper.

My best friend's last words are on this paper. 

(Y/n), donna, I'm sorry to leave you. I know you're hurt, but I couldn't stand another nightmare of those creatures killing everyone I love. I know what you meant about being trapped here forever, but the idea is just another endless nightmare. Never having the freedom to choose anything for ourselves. I don't want to live in that world. I don't have any hope left for a way out. I love you and Jacob, but I don't believe I could watch either of you die. So it's time to go, Good Luck. -Tony, idiota

Gally can't catch me fast enough and I hit the ground hard. Fresh tears rolled down in waves "he was telling me goodbye last night and I didn't even know it," I sob "I'm so sorry (Y/n)," Gally tells me and I can't even respond. It's not long before we're all brought to the homestead for a council meeting. No one chatters away like usual, everyone is quiet knowing what happened. Alby comes forward solemnly, 

"We all know what happened this morning. I know this is a hard thing for the glade to face, losing our own, but we can't lose hope. No work today, meals will be served in smaller portions of what we have left over. Take today to grieve and mourn over Tony. Tonight we'll have a bonfire in his honor. You can visit his grave in the dead heads, come to the wall as we cross off his name, and attend the bonfire. If you want to mourn in peace, so be it. But don't lose sight of what's important, don't fall into despair like Tony, he wouldn't have wanted that," Alby tells us all and I can see he's looking at Jacob. 

The room is quiet as Alby lets everyone process "dismissed," he says before turning away. The glade is quiet throughout the whole day, and I spend it the same way as Gally sits by my side. Chuck and Minho come by to see how I'm holding up, but offer little comfort. Gally forces me to eat, but when the bonfire begins I refuse to go and hear stories about my best friend. Instead, I go to the dead heads, Gally follows but keeps his distance knowing I don't want him to hover. 

When I come to a stop in front of a fresh grave I sink down next to it. "He got one thing right," I tell Gally "he really is an idiota," I say my hand tracing his name into the loose dirt. My eyes look anywhere but the headstone on his grave, and they eventually land on the one beside it. 'George' it reads "George died trying to get out," Gally says interrupting the silence "when we were first put here, George gave me my tour. He stuck up for me and taught me a lot, he was a runner," Gally tells me and I look at him as he speaks.

"How'd he die?" I ask and Gally's eyes look to the old headstone "he tried to go back down into the box. He volunteered to do it, but it was my idea, he had us hold a rope as he started climbing down. A blade came out and cut him in half," Gally tells me his eyes far away remembering the moment. "I'm sorry," I tell him and he hums.

We stay there with our best friends long into the night, not sure what to say, but mourning all the same.