~Full Of Surprises Aren't You~

POV Gally

I hurry out of the mess hall and get to work on finishing (Y/n)'s room. After this morning I realized I might have not handled it in the best way. I'm not trying to be anyone's best friend but I do want to apologize in my own way. For Fry, I sent the other builders over to fix his pantry, and for (Y/n) I'll make her a private room. Somewhere she can be safe from any guys that want to be stupid. When dinner rolls around I don't even stop to attend the walls are up, and that's a big accomplishment for the day. 

When I finally leave the makeshift room I see that it's time to go to bed. Most of the gladers are already asleep, but I hear a few murmurs as I cross to the homestead. Then I hear something unusual for the glade it sounds like a hum from this distance, and I can't help but go towards the sound. I go towards the tower in the center of the glade and can now hear the sound much more clearly.

I know it's (Y/n), no one else in the glade sounds like that. I sit and listen under the tower and I wonder why she's singing in the dead of night.

POV (Y/n)

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
Oh a million dreams for the world we're gonna make

I try to sing quietly as my brain sings the song from a fuzzy memory. I had attempted to sleep but a memory flooded my thoughts and I hadn't been able to sleep since. 

Gally and I lay on the ground looking up at the sky, the day was fading into night and the sky was many different colors. We were in the small outdoor area allowed to us with an open sky overhead. We were supposed to be in our bunks, but we snuck out to enjoy a few minutes alone. They had sent Newt up into the maze today, and we were coping the best we could. "You know one day we're gonna escape this place," I told him my eyes looking at the beautiful sky above us. "We'll live next to the ocean," Gally adds "you can build me a house," I tell him grinning wildly. 

"What do you think you two are doing?" someone interrupts with an accent but his name and face are muddled. We jerk up and turn to look at the figure "Get inside!" he shouts at us and as he brings us in he laughs. "What's so funny?" Gally asks furrowing his brow with anger "It's just you two must be crazy to think you'll ever escape. It'll take a million dreams to get you outta here," he tells us trying to humiliate us. I glare at the man as we're escorted to our rooms.

A week later Gally and I plan to escape and while we sit waiting for our window of opportunity Gally taps my shoulder. "Hey, I wrote you something, it's a song," he tells me and makes me smile and then he begins to clear his throat and begins to sing.

"Even if it takes a million dreams, we'll be somewhere safe, and happy," Gally tells me brushing my (h/c) hair out of my face. 

I didn't realize but a few tears had started to slip down my cheeks at the memories. "The world we're gonna make?" I scoff hearing my voice crack slightly, "it seems like whoever sent us here destroyed whatever world we were gonna make," I sigh. "You good up there, greenie?" I hear Gally call from below "I'm fine," I tell him wiping at my face. "I'm coming up!" he says and I begin to hear his feet clamber up the tower. 

Every time I went to sleep another memory flooded my dreams, and I wasn't sure why this was happening. I heard Gally open up the hatch of the tower and pull himself up, "that was a nice song you were singing," Gally said and I try not to show how the words affect me. "Thanks, I heard it in a dream," I respond turning to look into his blue eyes wondering if he had any recognition of the song. "Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones," Gally told me nodding to himself "lucky ones?" I quiz.

"Yeah some of the gladers have dreams, and memories mix in. Nothing concrete, mostly just words, songs, feelings, and sometimes names," he explains and I nod and debate telling him about the dream "are you one of the lucky ones?" I ask and Gally sighs "no, I had a dream once, but I only had one," he explains. "What was it about?" I ask him and he stiffens at the question, "I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours," I offer to him. He sighs "you first and then I'll tell you," Gally pushes and I smile. 

"It was us, we were outside in some compound we were being held. We snuck out for some fresh air, and we were daydreaming about how we'd get out of the place. It was nice, but then someone interrupted and brought us inside, and said it would take a million dreams for us to get out. A week later you sung that song for me..." I tell him and I can't move to look at him. "I thought that song sounded familiar, I didn't realize that I'd written it," he jokes and I choke out a laugh. 

"Mine was about you, but umm... You were watching me drown. I could tell you wanted it to stop you were crying, but I didn't know you when you came up in the box because your face was distorted through the water. I knew your name though, once I saw your mark I knew it," he told me and I looked at him in shock "that's your only memory?" I ask and he nods. "Well, I can tell you about every dream I have of you. Then you could have a few more," I offer with a smile. He smiles back at me "I'd like that," he responds and we spend the night on top of the tower.

A Million Dreams is all it's gonna take.