~Wanna See What You're Made Of~

POV (Y/n)

I wake up and see the bright blue sky over my head, and a smile falls onto my features. I go to sit up and realize I'm not in my hammock, instead I'm on top of the tower. Next to me lies Gally, I smirk to myself and try not to read too much into things. I take a second to look at him, he's really handsome, and my eyes land on his soulmate mark. I know the mark well, it's the same one on my wrist. I lift my wrist up and touch and trace my tattoo, "what the hell are you doing?" Gally asks groggily from sleep.

"Nothing, we probably should go down to breakfast," I tell him looking over the side of the tower to see numerous gladers heading towards the mess hall. "You go ahead, I got some work to finish up on," Gally announces as he opens the hatch to exit the tower. Without another word, he's off and I can't help but smile at him. He's a complicated guy but he's a good guy at heart, "have a nice day, Gally!" I call to him as I watch him go. I climb down after him and head to the mess hall.

"Where have you been greenie?" Newt questions "just fell asleep on top of the tower," I shrug and he eyes me with a grin and I know he knows who with. "Nothing happened," I state plainly taking a bite out of my bacon, but I can feel the blush spread over my cheeks. "Sure, love. It's not like you spent all night on top of the tower with your soulmate or anything," he says with a wink."Oh! (Y/n) and Captain Gally making it official!" Killorn shouts and I feel the blush spread down my neck. 

"(Y/n) and you didn't come to tell me, I'm hurt," Tony says waving his hands around, and I sigh "nothing happened, we were just talking," I tell them before pushing my plate away frustrated. "Ahh, she's shy. Come on (Y/n) wasn't Gally fulfilling?" Jacob pushes and I cut a glare at them. "You're all so immature," I tell them "For the last time nothing happened between Gally and me," I say as I storm out of the mess hall. The last job I had to try out was a builder, and if the boys I called friends weren't being such shanks I'd be excited. 

I get over to the shed which is considered the builder's center of operations. Gally wasn't back from whatever job he'd been working on so I lean up against the shed waiting for him. Gally finally strides over after about thirty minutes already sweating from whatever he'd been working on. "Wanna see what you're made of?" Gally asks and I roll my eyes "how hard could it be?" I quiz underestimating the job on purpose. "Come on then," he orders starting to walk into the shed and I follow behind him.

"Grab as many planks of wood as you can," he tells me as he grabs at the wood himself. I do as I'm told and try to ignore the way the splinters of wood stab at my palms. "Good?" he asks looking at me obviously done gathering wood himself. "Yeah, I'm good," I tell him and he nods heading out the shed door, I follow after him and we stop at the construction of what looks to be another shed. "What is this?" I ask as we enter the building, Gally tosses down his pile of wood and reaches up to scratch the back of his neck.

"It's gonna be your hut. Alby approved it yesterday, and I immediately got to work on it. Foundation and walls are finished, but we still need flooring, a roof, and a hammock in here," he tells me not making eye contact as he sets to work nailing down a piece of wood paneling onto the foundation as flooring. I smile at him "thanks Gally," I tell him as I begin helping him in nailing down the flooring. We work for hours and I can feel the sweat beading on the back of my neck. I sit up straight and take in a deep breath exhausted from this work, "take a break greenie," Gally tells me noticing my discomfort. 

"You sure?" I quiz and he nods "it'll only take me another hour to get the floor down and then it'll be lunch, so you can break till then," he retorts and I smile at him "thank you, Gal," I say and he looks at me with a smirk on his face "don't mention it," he says and I stand to exit the hut reluctantly. That smirk was making me want to go back in, but I wasn't sure if that was the best thing to do. If the rumors weren't bad already I don't need to push them any further.

This is one of my very few moments alone in the glade, and it felt odd. I walk for a while before I come to one of the maze door openings and I stop to look out. I wanted so badly to veer out into the maze it was a feeling that I couldn't explain. I wanted to travel out and search for a way out, I may not remember my life before this well but I know all I wanted was to get out. Being a runner was the only real way to do that too, and I didn't know how I'd get the opportunity. "Whatcha doing there shebean?" I hear none other than Alby ask behind me and I turn to him with a half-hearted smile. "Dreaming," I respond with a shrug, and Alby nods I suppose in understanding. 

"You look like you're about to sprint out," he tells me speaking my thoughts into reality and I shake my head "do I look like a rule breaker to you?" I quiz and he laughs, "no, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong," he answers "I gotta job I want you to try out shebean," Alby tells me and I cork an eyebrow. "What is it?" I ask