~Everything Changed When You Showed Up~

POV (Y/n)

-Day 16 in The Glade-

It'd been four days since Avery had been banished and my bruises were starting to heal and fade. I sat in the map room that now instead of a door had a tarp covering the doorway. "Minho, are you sure?" I asked as I stared at the 3D model of the maze we'd just put together. "I'm sure," he responded and I can't help but shake my head. "That's the third dead end," I mumble in disbelief "We need to tell Alby," I sigh running a hand wildly through my hair. 

"I'll grab him," Minho states, and I nod as I flip through the runner logs. I feel like we were running out of options, but I didn't know what that meant for us. Either we just got closer to getting out, or we were going to need to face the reality soon that there is no way out. There genuinely was not much left to go over. When Minho returns with Alby I am quick to the point "sector five is out," I tell him plainly and Alby's eyes run over the sector with the corresponding number. "We need more runners, we need to get people out there to help finish the maze," Alby states.

A fire lights behind my eyes at the idea, "we should call a council meeting of the keepers. See if they've got any candidates and get them up to speed," Minho interjects and I nod seconding his statement. "I'll round 'em up, (Y/n) get ready, 'cause I want you to tell them what you've noted," Alby tells me exiting the map room. I gulp nervously about speaking to all the other keepers at once. It's my first council meeting as keeper of the map-makers.

When the keepers come into the small map room my nerves triple. Gally comes to stand next to me as he has made a habit, although we were still not formally together it was obvious that we were into one another. "Alby, Minho, and I have called this council meeting to discuss the maze and the prospects of runners," I tell the group diving right into it and I swipe the palms off on my pants trying to be slick about it. 

"The maze is divided into eight sectors and as of today, three out of the eight have been dead ends. We believe if we can get a few more runners in the maze we can locate our way out faster. So, look for people in your groups who are quick thinkers, fast (obviously), and who have good instincts. We need to be careful about who we consider, and just because you give us a name doesn't mean we'll be putting them in the maze. Minho will be doing the same runner training as he'd do with any greenie," I explain and look to Alby to take over "I'll take any names you have now, but if you think of any later don't hesitate," Alby tells the group and he then listens for someone to speak.

I meet his gaze and I know he knows what I'm about to say. "I wanna be a runner," I answer and I don't waver and I can feel Gally stiffen and scoff "no, she doesn't," he answers and I look at him with confused eyes. "Yes, I do," I repeat sternly, the rest stare for only a second before turning back to Alby, some offering names to Alby. "John," "Taylor," and "Connor," are some of the boys mentioned but my attention is moved away from Gally to Zart when I hear "Tony," and I smirk. 

"Minho and I will think about it, but (Y/n), Minho has already approved you. Start her training tomorrow," Alby says before he lets out a grumbled "dismissed," and exits the map room. Gally storms out behind him and I sigh, "see you tomorrow Minho," I tell him before following the bruting boy. "Gally!" I call out, but he doesn't slow down or stop for me to catch up. "Gally!" I shout again now jogging behind him. My hand clasps onto his shoulder tightly and I turn him to look at me. 

"What's your problem?" I ask him and he cuts a glare at me as if the question alone is an insult. "What's my problem? My problem is even though Avery nearly killed you because of what's out there you, want to go and meet the same fate!" he shouts in my face causing me to shake my head. "Gally, Minho's been in the maze for the last two years and he's been fine. What happened to Avery was awful, and I don't want it to happen to anyone else. You wanna know how to stop it from happening again? Getting out, and I can't just sit behind these walls and wait for someone else to find the way out for me," I tell him.

"You wanna know how to stop it? Stop sending people into the maze! We got enough work around here to do. What's the point of this?" He asks and I blink my eyes in shock "Gally, the point? The point is, we don't belong here! I can remember things from out there, in the real world, good things, that'll never exist in here," I try to explain to him. Gally just brushes me off though turning and walking away towards the builder's shed.

In the evening I feel defeated from my conversation with Gally, I lay in my hammock that Gally had fixed trying to push it out of my mind. My thoughts are interrupted by a knock at my door "can I come in?" Gally asks from the other side, and I fight the urge to tell him no. "What do you want?" I ask instead, "to apologize, just let me in," he pleads "fine," I say giving in. Gally opens the door with a thrown-together bouquet in hand, and it nearly makes me laugh because most of them are weeds. 

"Listen, I'm sorry about earlier. I just, I just don't want to lose you out there. What if one day you go in there, and you don't come back out?" he says sounding defeated "Minho's going to train me. I'll be fine, and I might get us out of here," I tell him. He looks at me and I can see that he has none of his usual mask up to hide what he's feeling. "Everything changed when you showed up. You didn't seek me out, but you got to know me. You never cared about some stupid mark on our wrist, you just cared about me. You care about everyone. You wanted to comfort a guy who tried to kill you. You want to save everyone," Gally tells me setting down the flowers and crossing the room toward me. 

He climbs into the hammock beside me and looks deeply into my eyes "I'm not like you, I'm not selfless, I'm selfish. I want to protect you and only you, shuck everyone else. But, I can't stop you and I won't try, because I love you (Y/n)," Gally tells me a hand reaching to cup the side of my face. I stare into his light blue eyes with longing, he loves me, "You don't have to say it back, but can you do me a favor and be my girlfriend?" he asked causing a smirk and a slight giggle to pass my lips "yes."