~If There's One Thing I Know~

POV (Y/n) 

-Day 11 in the glade-

Alby had given me the chance at a job only a few get in the glade, map-maker. I worked with only two other people in the glade Ty and Sam. We won't go into the maze, but the runners tell us everything about running in the maze and we track it. It was harder work than it sounded, but it was something useful. When we were waiting on the runners to get back we helped out in other areas of the glade. I mostly found myself cooking with Frypan, but I could also be found annoying Gally and the builders.

My hut had just recently been finished and I was appreciative of the private space. Some of the other boys were less than excited about me having my own space, but it was Alby-approved so what could they do? "Gally I'm telling you we need something to better keep it stuck to the wall," I tell him gesturing to the hook that's supposed to be in the wall of my hut. There are two hooks across from each other in the corner meant for holding my hammock in place. Unfortunately, they suck! 

I'd fallen on the floor twice this week and was sick of waking up by smashing my head into the floor.  "(Y/n), do you see anything like that lying around the glade?" he retorts with a sneer, and I look at him annoyed "Gal, you're the builder not me. Anyways can't you submit something to Alby about supplies the builders need and he can send it into the box?" I ask and he scoffs "(Y/n) be serious I'm not wasting my list of three submissions on this. We'll think of something else," he tells me and I roll my eyes. "Whatever you say, captain," I retort jokingly Gally smirks at me and throws an arm around my shoulders pulling me closer. 

As soon as I'm within reach of his other arm he begins tickling me. I let out uncontrollable laughter and attempt to fight him off me. "Gally! Stop!" I manage to get out the words before a knock at the door interrupts the moment "(Y/n), um, Avery's out of the Maze early," Ty tells me as my laughter dies down. "Thanks, Ty," I tell him before looking back to Gally who still has a smirk on his features as he looks down at me. "Fix my hammock," I tell him in a joking manner before I head out of the hut and towards the map room. 

It's a little bit of a jog to the map room, but once I get in there I smile at my typical runner. There are six runners in the glade and we map-maker's have two runners each that we track. I have Minho and Avery, "hey Avery!" I greet him happily and he only nods which is odd to me usually he greets back with a complaint about how he wishes he could be asleep. He tosses his notepad to the table in weird sluggish motions, and I try to brush off his weird behavior. I sit at the table and open the notebook, most of it is normal until the last bit "um... Avery, this part doesn't really make sense. What do you mean you went up?" I ask him confused and starting to feel nervous with the energy in the room. 

I look at Avery and notice him shaking and when he turns to look at me he lunges forward attempting to grab me. "What the hell?" I shout moving out of his grasp afraid of my friend, Avery looks unfazed and lunges again. "We'll never get out!" he growls at me and I furrow my brows confused, I move for the door as fast as possible. He pins me to the door and is staring at me, but I can't tell what he's thinking.  I can almost see the battle behind his eyes but I don't want to chance who will win. 

I let my hand slither around the door behind me until it lands on the door handle. I quickly twist the knob and let the door swing open, Avery stumbles being caught off guard, but I waste no time sprinting away from him. I don't get far before Avery grabs a fist full of my hair that was pulled into a ponytail. I let out a scream, and I purposefully make it as loud as possible hoping to draw attention. Avery pulls me back by my hair and slams me into a tree, when my body makes contact I feel the wind being knocked out of me. Avery's hands wrap around my throat and I struggle to free myself. The oxygen flow is slowing and my mind is scrambling I can hear the other gladers but they're too far. 

I swing my leg up and kick Avery hard in the balls, he responds expectantly, and I attempt to scurry away but I am still trying to catch my breath. "Help!" I scream out afraid but Avery is quick he grabs my ankle pulling me towards him. "You little bitch! I'll kill you!" he screams and I finally feel tears spring from my eyes "Gally!" I shout wishing for the strong builder to save me. Avery punches me across the face and I see stars as I let out a cry. He has me pinned down and returns to strangling me, and I can do little to stop him. I try hard to push his hands off me "get off of her!" I hear a familiar voice as Gally tackles Avery off of my body. 

I sit up quickly gasping for breath I feel someone come and help me up and when I open my eyes I see Tony. Several other gladers are holding Avery down and some are pulling Gally off of him as Gally attempts to beat him bloody. It's already getting dark out and I can hear the maze doors closing, but my focus is on my friend. "What happened to him?" I wonder as Avery thrashes violently on the ground.