58. life of the party

En başından başla

"How did you like the surprise?" Kartik asked. I turned to him.

"It's beautiful....wow."

Spellbound, I walked over to the counter where once, Jen and I had spent countless hours working and sharing innate details of our lives. I absentmindedly touched the island and felt all the memories flooding in.

"How did you guys manage to pull this off?" Moose asked, his tone of voice equally surprised as mine. "I mean, this is just-"

"Well, since both the owners of the diner are um..." Siya began.

"Since they are both dead, the diner had been closed off as for now." Zoya completed, sensing Siya's hesitance. "So we just got the key from the police department and asked permission to have a reception party for just one evening."

"Wait, how did you get the key from the police department?" I asked.

"Perks of being a police officer's girlfriend, I guess." Kartik mocked.

"Shut up! I'm not his girlfriend." Zoya immediately retorted.

"So what are you guys?" Saina asked. "He did walk you down the aisle today."

"We haven't put any labels yet." Zoya said with gritted teeth. "Now if we can just shift the focus off of me to the newly married couple, that'd be great!"

We chuckled.

"You guys are our guests today, so allow us to entertain you today." Siya said, smiling as she made Moose and I sit over at one of the booths.

"Okay then! Let's start with gifts, shall we?" Kartik announced, as Siya went and stood next to him.

"You guys really didn't have to get us anything." I said feeling extremely overwhelmed. "I mean...look at all of this! You guys have done enough-"

"Oh please! It's not like you guys are gonna get married every year!" Zoya immediately interjected, saying. "It's a once in a lifetime experience! And considering the amount of years it took you both to come to your senses and finally get together, I guess it's safe to say there would be plenty of time before a baby shower gift."

My cheeks reddened as I heard Moose cough beside me.

"Now now, Zoya! Stop teasing them!" Saina said, laughing at our faces. "Let's get started with the gifts, come on."

Once they all took their seats, Zoya chimed, "Me first!"

Saying that, she went behind the counter and carried a medium sized white box covered in light blue ribbons and placed it on our table. Moose and I exchanged a glance before looking back at her.

"Holy smokes, Zoya." Moose commented. "The packaging is huge. I hope it's not just an empty box though."

Zoya threw a cushion at him in response and he chuckled. I took my time to slowly and carefully unwrap the gift. Gingerly opening the lid, I peered inside. So did Moose.

There were several items inside. A white porcelain swan showpiece sat atop a big wooden framed picture of Moose and I from when we were seventeen. A beautiful lilac cover journal rested next to it with two keychains at the very bottom.