Twenty

(In case you forgot who Xander is, he's the beta.)

Jax's POV

I've been laying on the floor in my room for three days.

Yes. Seriously.

My wolf is howling and whining and barking and yowling and whimpering and scratching and so much more.

I can't focus. I can't eat or drink. I can't sleep. 

All I can do is think about Brooklyn. Remember other time we spent together. Long for her presence.

The more I thought about it, the more I needed to find her. Just to check on her, make sure she's safe and doing okay. That she moved on.

The last thought made me whimper aloud, and I never whimper.

Xander opened the door without knocking and rolled his eyes at me. "You're pathetic."

"I know." I growled, angry at myself.

Xander let out a huff. "If you think I'm done being mad at you, your wrong."

I sighed. "I hoped you'd forgive me, but I didn't think you would."

"Good, you have some sense." He growled. "And yet, when it comes to your mate, you send her off without an explanation and leave her wondering what the heck she did wrong. Think about it! She comes back from being freaking kidnapped just to be broken up with for no reason."

"I know, alright?" I yelled. "She's all I can think about, okay? Every day! All day! I'm going out of my mind! I had to send her away so she'd be safe. And she is safe. She hasn't been hurt or kidnapped."

Xander growled, his eyes turning several shades darker. "Are we going to do this again? Maybe she is safe. I don't think she is, but let's say she is. What about her mental health? What about how incredibly upset she is?"

I opened my mouth to argue back but Xander continued. "Brooklyn moved here to get away from her boyfriend because he treated her like crap and stole her money. Then, you ended things with her without an explanation.

"Now, she probably blames herself. She probably thinks she did something. And you couldn't even get over yourself and explain, at the very least. Nooooo. You had to let her wonder. Let her think she's in the wrong."

Xander was absolutely furious by the end of his rant, and his eyes were pure black. I, too, was worked up. "You aren't a human! You don't know her. Maybe she blames me. Hates me."

He growled. "You're right, I don't know her. You do. So what would she be thinking?"

I clenched my jaw, knowing he was right. And I hated it when he was right. But I wasn't going to admit it. "Why does it even bother you? She's my mate! And she's a human!"

Xander snarled loudly. "Because, unlike some people, I don't have a mate! I don't have someone to be in a romantic relationship with. And when my best friend does and throws that away? I get furious. Plus, she's the Luna! The alpha female of the pack I happen to be the Beta of."

I was about to growl back but I realized something. "You know where she is, right?"

"Maybe. Unless you're planning on making up, I'm not telling you anything." He said sharply.

"Too bad. Tell me. Now." I growled, in the Alpha tone he physically couldn't resist.

He grit his teeth and spat out the address she was living at now. "I hate you." He added angrily.

"Too bad. Now get out." I snapped.

He clenched his fists and left, slamming the door behind him. 

-

Am I really doing this?

Yes. Heck yes.

I'm going to visit Brooklyn. But, obviously, she won't know that I'm there. I can't let her see me. I'll make sure she's okay and leave again.

-

I could smell her. The very scent made my wolf howl and go absolutely insane. He wanted her. To hold her, kiss her.

But I couldn't do that.

I followed the scent into a bar. A small growl left my throat as I glanced around, seeing all the males. She could be here with any one of them.

Then I spotted her.

Brooklyn looked gorgeous. However, she also looked horrible at the same time. Her now dull hair hung limply. She had deep shadows on her face with bags under her eyes. Speaking of her eyes, they were also dull and emotionless. 

She was also pale and thin. I could smell the alcohol on her from across the room, so she's definitely drunk, but she was also definitely suffering.

Xander was right. She wasn't okay. Not in the slightest. 

As I watched her, some guy walked up and started flirting with her. She smiled back slightly, but it didn't reach her eyes.

Anger filled me as she laughed, a real laugh, at something the guy said.

She's not mine. You wanted her to move on.

The guy put his arm around her, pulling her to his side, and whispered something in her ear that made her giggle.

How dare he

I clenched my fists, growling softly.

The guy smiled at her before leaning in and pressing his lips to hers.

The moment his lips touched her, I exploded. My vision turned red, and within seconds I was punching the guy.

I don't know what happened after that until I felt Brooklyn grab the fist I was about to use to punch the bloodied, mangled person beneath me again.

"Stop!" She screamed, terror in her eyes. And I stopped.

I felt some human - probably security - grab my arm but I ripped it away as Brooklyn left.

Tears were falling from her eyes and I knew I had to comfort her. But I also knew I had to let her go.

But I couldn't.

So I followed her. "Brooklyn!" I called.

She turned around to find herself centimeters from me, and I couldn't help myself, connecting our lips.

-

🙊 perfectly describes this chapter.

Vote

Comment

Follow me

-HKMisawesome

-