Wildflower

The next morning, the lockdown began.

I didn't notice much of a difference other than the sudden silence in the house. With much less staff working, it was much quieter. I felt more comfortable in the house after spending the evening with Jin. I looked forward to seeing Jin again and spending more time with my brothers. I wanted to feel like they were my brothers, not just some guys I just met.

I felt a little more comfortable with half of Jay's team going back to Korea to gather more information on the BMG. As well as having less people around the house that I had to see every day. It was going to take a while for it to feel like my home and having several people living in it was only going to make it more difficult.

I was never a very confident person. My mother taught me to be more humble and to respect my elders. Though I grew up in England, she still taught me some of the honorifics and the most common ways of showing respect to our Korean relatives. Being bullied at school only lowered my confidence and by the time we left for Korea it felt like I hardly even spoke. And now suddenly I have tens of people to talk to, most of which are men.

I ventured downstairs to get some breakfast and see if any of my new brothers wanted to eat with me. Minho's office door was open, and I peeked inside, checking if he was working. While trying to be quiet, I noticed the sound of another door opening nearby. I took a step back to see who it was, only to notice Chan and I.M both leaving the living room. To avoid any awkwardness, I quickly slipped through the gap in my brother's door and shut the door behind me.

"Everything alright?" Minho hesitantly asked, with a chuckle.

"Yes. I am getting breakfast. Do you want any?" I quickly turned around with a smile, pretending that I hadn't been cowardly hiding from I.M again. What is the worst that would happen? He'd ask me what's wrong with my mother? He would have that judgemental look on his face. Why do I care? Let him judge me.

"No, I'll eat later." I nodded along, expecting that reply.

"Is Jin up? Is he working?"

"I'm not sure, I haven't seen him yet."

He didn't hesitate to return to work and with a short smile. I made my way out of my hiding spot.

I ate alone, just like I had for many years before I met Minho and Jin and it felt normal, for the first time in a while. I noticed the door to the garden, that I hadn't seen before and approached it, setting my bowl down on the counter, for it to be instantly picked up by the cleaner. The glass was thick and a little blurry. All I could see was greenery and I wanted more of it, but I wasn't sure if I could go out there on my own, considering we were in lockdown.

"Go ahead, I'll watch you while I eat." Someone's deep voice made me jump and my back suddenly hit the door. Jae-beom chuckled amused by my cowardliness. It felt as though I was four years old. I needed a babysitter no matter where I went. I bowed lightly, as he got on with preparing his breakfast and I slowly bent the handle to the garden door. However, the door didn't open.

I heard a light sigh or a chuckle or something in-between the two as Jay approached me and turned the key that was already in the lock under the handle. His hand nearly landed onto mine, before I moved it quickly and he opened the door for me. I could feel his breath on the top of my head as he towered over me, only millimetres away from touching me. Personal space? Not a thing in this house?

I gave him a small bow as a thank you and made my way outside, leaving the door wide open so Jay could watch me. There was a large tree at the end of a long, runway like garden. It was surrounded by large, evenly cut bushes with cameras in every corner. The rustling of guards pacing back and forth around the outside could be heard above the sound of the whistling, skin prickling wind. There were pots of flowers in the corners and a swing hanging under the large oak tree. There were benches adjacent to the house walls and a little stone covered path to the oak tree that drew me instantly.

The wind sent a chill through my bones, but I welcomed it. I liked the feeling of the cold creeping up my skin and covering it in goosebumps. I eyed the swing like a child as I got to the oak tree. I could see the kitchen from the end of the garden, which meant that Jay could see me. I slowly grasped the two, brown ropes that held the swing in the air, before consciously resting myself on the seat, hoping the ropes were strong enough to hold me.

I began to swing, only lightly, but somehow it was enough to empty my mind of the mess that my life had become. All I could see were flowers and green bushes and the blue sky that was slowly turning grey. The oak tree was thick enough to protect me if rain began to pour, so I wasn't worried. The wind continued to prickle at my skin, and I was freezing cold, but I felt so free.

There was nothing on my mind. I didn't feel anything but the wind brushing against my skin and the droplets of rain that were slowly coming down. There was no place I'd rather be. I could see the silhouette of somebody standing in-between the kitchen door watching me, but it soon disappeared.

Slowly the rain began to come down harder and harder and with each swing I was getting wetter and wetter. I knew it was time to head inside, but I felt so free. It was so easy to keep going without even a thought.

After another 10 minutes and the rain intensifying to a full storm, I noticed Jay coming into the garden with a large umbrella over his head.

He dropped a pair of slippers in front of me and held the umbrella over my head. I didn't have much of a choice anymore.

"Sorry Miss Choi. I must take full responsibility for your life and your health. If you catch a cold, it will be my fault." He covered us both with the umbrella, before we began walking back to the house. I nodded agreeing and understanding his position, while the dark clouds took home to my body and by the time, we reached the kitchen I was miserable.

My clothes were damp and that was excuse enough to go back to my room.