Chapter 51

--Jez POV—

Loud thumping sounds in my ears blocked out most of the noise as I ripped the necklace off my neck. I threw it on the ground and stomped on it roughly, the crystal shattering under my black heel, puffs of purple floating around my heeled foot. Twisting my foot on the ground, I wanted to ensure the crystal was nothing but dust.

The energy flowing through my body was overwhelming, a constant that was now murmuring in the background. It thumped, begged for me to use it on anything and I was wholeheartedly prepared to just destroy, blind, decimate, every single fae in this room. That was, until I saw Nyx's wide eyes in Elain's arms. He looked enamoured, mesmerised by me, like he'd been looking forward to this moment – an odd connection, that even the little male seemed to be confused by himself.

It was a lot. The magic was, anyway. It had been silent, sleeping, and suddenly it was roaring with pent up energy. It didn't seem to be working in cohesion with me, it felt chaotic, needy. It was screaming for me to abuse it.

The magic was much more powerful than anything I had experienced.

Are you okay? Sif asked down the connection, concern laced with every word.

I'm not sure, I told her honestly, I haven't felt this potent in a long time.

You're not the only one, Niamh chimed in, we've all been feeling stronger lately.

Where are the others? I questioned, taking the tiara off my head with a hand. I inspected it, frustration seeping into my bones at how the night was going. One minute I was in Azriel's arms, the next he had broken my heart, tore it into pieces, made sure I was paying for every sin I had committed since I was born.

With a snap of my fingers, I willed it into my vault and the item vanished into the ether.

Gods was it satisfying to be able to do that on my own, without the support of the Illyrian.

They're distracting mother, Sif informed me, stepping besides me. She paused, and I could feel her eyes dragging up and down my body, her disbelief thick next to me. "You look gorgeous, Jez. I haven't seen you this dressed up in a long time."

I looked down at the Gods forsaken dress, frowning. This fucking outfit was a bad omen. "Say good bye to it," I hissed and snatched my pin from my chest, hoping that it would still do what it was meant to do.

It did.

From top to bottom, the black dress transformed into my official white satin dress, mirroring Sif and Niamh's. The Starfall outfit was safe, back in my closet at home, but it was going to be hidden away from the world for a very long. Gods only knew if it was cursed, but it just brought bad luck and news every time I wore it. No one should wear it, even myself. My black hells shifted to my gold sandals.

The pin transformed into my golden sword, and I was surprised, star struck at how heavy it felt in my hand. While I had been practicing swordplay with the Shadowsinger's own collection, they were a fraction of the weight that was grasped in my palm. Clearing my throat, I lifted it into the air, inspecting the long weapon in the light. It shone brilliantly, the magic laced through the engravings on the side in rainbows, In the name of Prythian and Mother.

"Did you know it did that?" Cass asked, shock in his voice.

I looked at the fae in front of me.

I hated nearly every single one of them.

Cass' eyes were wide, along with most of the Night Court Circle – bar from Amren who was grinning excitedly – at what had transpired in front of them. Gwyn, Emerie and Nesta's jaws were slack, pointing dumbly at what I held. Rhysand attempted to look brave but I could smell it – and I could smell everything again – the fear, the shock that I was stood in front of him. A fully-fledged Mother's Daughter.