Chapter 48

Vera and Chance's home was overgrown in the wisterias, much like most of Velaris. It was as if the vines and purple flowers were making up for time, reclaiming their place in Prythian and ensuring that the city was getting a taste of it. They had started to catch up to Az's cabin, now snaking up the trees and up the outside wooden walls.

Az was waiting by a tree, leaning against it, and watching me from afar as I held two gifts for my two long-time friends. He wasn't being impatient, or annoyed, that I had asked to come here first before making our way to what he called the town house. The Shadowsinger had quietly flown us here as soon as I asked, no questions asked as to why I had got the duo gifts.

Perhaps I had been too brash to Vera, and possibly I hadn't given Chance the opportunity to come back into my life. Maybe, I thought as I knocked on the door, I was ready to move past who I was and what I was. Yes, I was still annoyed that Vera was basically plopped into my life but how long could I hold a grudge?

While I was rummaging through my vault, I had stumbled across an old diadem – one that Vera's husband had promised me to hold onto. It was a gorgeous gold with solid branches weaving through the top, and rubies embedded into the gap. To this day, I had no idea why I was given it or why the old fool thought it would be a good idea for me to chuck it in my vault, but here I was, returning it to an owner that it didn't know it had.

For Chance, I had found a locket his father had gifted me – it was meant to bring good luck and prosperity. Not that he needed it, the home in front of me, and his rocketing businesses, were testament to it. I knew, deep down, that it didn't belong to me and should have gone home to their rightful owner years ago.

Vera answered the door, Chance towering over her shoulder. She looked at me softly, a smile on her lips.

The darkness and annoyance rattled within me. Perhaps I could hold onto a grudge for a little longer.

"Jez," Vera smiled. "Happy Winter Solstice."

I tipped the corner of my lip up, handing the two fae their respective gifts. "Happy Winter Solstice," I replied.

"Did you celebrate your birthday?" Vera asked, taking the gifts out of my hand and passing them to Chance. He quietly walked away. I blinked at the female. It had been a long time since I had a birthday gift, let alone celebrated my birthday. It was just another day, and despite telling Azriel a vague date of snow and moons, it just...wasn't important.

"I...no, I didn't," I replied quietly. "I've had plenty to last a lifetime, I think I could miss another one."

Vera looked at me thoughtfully, her eyes moving past me and to the falling snow. "I remember when we celebrated your 100,000th. Snow had fallen and we all went around to the then High Lord's home."

"That was half my lifetime ago," I laughed.

"Indeed, my child," Vera smiled, reaching her hand out enough to let a snowflake land in her palm. We watched it melt in her wrinkled hand before she curled her fingers into her palm. "Jez, we too have a gift for you – but I'd like you to open it for Starfall. Think of it as a Winter Solstice and Birthday present."

Chance came back into view with a brown leather box, its lid held in place by a latch. "It's not much of a gift if she can't open it now," Chance mumbled, rolling his eyes. "She's hellbent on it, Jez. You must open and wear it for Winter Solstice."

"I saw you," Vera mumbled, stepping aside to let Chance hand me the box. I took it from him, surprised at the lightness. "I dreamt, Jez, for the first time in a long time and I knew it was time to give this back to you."