Chapter 26

It had been eight days since Azriel had left me that morning.

Eight days since he had said some interesting things that still made no sense to me.

Eight days since he had made me breakfast.

Eight days since I continued to deny how good Azriel had felt inside of me.

Eight fucking days and no sign of life.

Not that I was counting or anything.

Neither had Gwyn apparently.

The red head had been throwing looks my way since the Shadowsinger had left that morning. She had also been a lot more aggressive in her training when we had shifted from breathing to very basic, not intense hand-to-hand combat. I steered clear of her and I wondered if Nesta had attempted to calm her down.

Several times over the last few days, Cass had to pull Gwyn away from one of the females she had been training with. Once or twice was understandable, get it out of your system, but she wasn't just throwing it all at her two friends. She had given black eyes and fractured bones to some of the females she would go onto work with in the library. She had even cracked Emerie's collar bone.

Her behaviour was concerning because they were meant to be dodging hits, not actually throwing them.

I had also noticed some of the females not taking their training seriously, mainly putting in half the effort and watching Gwyn. In the last two days, several of them had decided not to listen to me and so I would have to send them on their way back to the library, much to their annoyance. However, I was wasn't sure if the annoyance was directed at the fact they would be going back to the library or at me.

Today was no different.

Gwyn was up against Nesta today and they were both quite feisty – not in the good way. Cass' mate was furious, there was no rhythm to her attempt, or lack thereof, at slowing her fists. Her friend was just the same, except she was nearly frothing at the mouth. Gwyn's jaw was tight, clenching and unclenching. I could feel the hatred, the pent-up anger releasing and overflowing both females. They were both taking punches from each other, split skin on their knuckles and cheeks a clear indication that neither were prepared to stop.

The same group of females were still putting in half the effort.

I was very concerned.

Cassian was as well. His eyes jumped from the two priestesses in front of him to his mate and her friend. His lips were a hard line but his eyes were screaming at them, as if he was prepared to knock Gwyn out himself.

"Gwyn," I called out from where I stood. She ignored me completely; her punches only getting stronger. Gwyn barely missed Nesta's nose and I sucked in a deep breath. "Gwyn, that is enough."

"I will tell you when I've had enough," Gwyn snapped through her teeth and Nesta took the shot at her friend's mouth. A horrifying crunch of Nesta's fist meeting her friend's jaw rang through the training ring.

"Will you listen to her?" Nesta snapped, ducking her head as Gwyn took aim at it.

"Since when did you listen?"

"Jez is what we were striving to be, why we started training to become Valkyrie. There wouldn't be a Valkyrie if it weren't for her."

"She is a disgrace to Valkyrie, to females."

Her comment hadn't phased me one bit but this was not the time or place to be having this conversation.

My eyes diverted briefly from the duo, as well as their friend Emerie who was looking increasingly worried by the second, and raised my hand. The females responded better to gentle motions, with some even cringing at my voice taking command over them. It was understandable, a lot of these females were regaining their confidence, their love for themselves despite their hardships in life.